Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

please help with file recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.

cacool

ISP
Jun 26, 2003
US
got an error message last week about sys.ini file missing or corrupt. was told to re-install w/98. did that but lost all my saved files...most importantly my jpgs. downloaded pc inspector file recovery, which found my lost files but i don't know how to get them back from that point. i'm using a dell latitude cp m233st. i have an identical laptop, too.

PC Inspector gives you no option to recover files it finds?

it just says i need to download to another hard drive other than the one they are on. i don't know how to do that.

Ouch, you need a second hard drive to save the files to, because when you delete a file, it's like deleting the entry out of an index in a book. It looks like it's not there, but if you go look with special software it still is. This "still is there" state only lasts until you use that part of the hard drive to store something new. The possibility of using that part of the hd when you recover the files is a problem because you might write over the unrecovered files with the files you are recovering. On most file recovery programs there is an option to continue on even though corruption is a possibility, however you are taking a risk.

Sorry if it was confusing, also, the more you use your laptop, the better chance you have of corrupting those unrecovered files.

sys.ini file is a picture file that displayed when you start your computer...the window 98 screen...I had that happened to me...if you lost that u can't load window, what you have to do is go to another computer and get that file, which will probably be hidden under windows or system folder..and save it in your floppy and just save it to your infected comp and that should solved the problem. good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back