Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help with DMZ issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjdobs

Programmer
Mar 11, 2002
CA
Hello,

I participate in a club that uses the internet as a radio linking tool ... we have just lost our home in a ISP and now have to set up in a building that has a netgear router (8Port) as a Cable Internet Gateway and because there is only one cable avialable in the area of the building we are located and several drops are required a SMC 7008ABR was donated to provide us with enough connections to share plus connect our radio project to the internet.

Our problem is we have the Netgear set to DMZ the SMC router and we have the SMC router set to DMZ the Radio PC (Linux box running ver RH7.3) however from the linux box I cannot get past the netgear router. Is this a compatibility issue between the routers? Do I need to instead put a hub at the Netgear to isolate the two routers?

Does anyone have a clear reference that explains how to set up a DMZ properly?

OK, To basics, if you put a hub between the 2 routers and connect a PC to it, can you ping from the Linux box to the test PC OK.
This will prove the return data path through the SMC router

With this setup, if you map a port through the Netgear router, you should also be able to ping the test PC from the internet.

If this all works, the chances are that your problem is a routing table issue in one of the routers assuming that you are NAT'ing IP addresses through both routers.

gm7 obi

If this is an IRLP node then you will need to set up the ports to service associations.
The following ports need set up.
22 - SSH (required only for any requested remote admin help )
2074 through 2093 UDP - IRLP Audio (bi-directional UDP)
15425, 15426, 15427 IRLP Control/Update Ports - TCP
Pointing to the IRLP server local net I.P address.
If you are going through 2 routers you need to set the first to forward to the second then the second points to the server. This should do the trick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back