Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLEASE HELP WITH ACCESS SECURITY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemistZ

Programmer
Oct 30, 2001
US
Okay, I guess I really didn't understand Access security. I thought it was database level security but now that I have it set up, the log on screen comes up when I try to open Access not the database. Is this the way it is supposed to work? What happens if I have it on a network drive? Will anyone who opens it from that shared drive get the log on screen or will I have to go to each individual's computer and set it up?

First, yes, Access is acting in the correct manner (for Access).

Workgroups must be activated on each machine. That means that each user must use the Workgroups Manager and change her workgroup. If the user uses your database from more than one machine on the network, she will have to change the workgroup on each machine.

Once the workgroup A has been changed to workgroup B, Workgroup B will be active until it, in turn, is changed.

When you start Access, even for a database other than the one for which you created the workgroup, you will get the Login screen before the database itself will load.

Search for FAQs on security for more information.

If you want it to only happen for your program I have a form I spent a bit of time on that requests a user name and password to continue, I had the same problem as you and found that it left to many holes in the security of the program. Anthoer thing you should look at is to block shift, so as no one can see your code or copy al the hard work you put in.
If you want it email me at: zeroanarchy@hotmail.com and I will be happy to send it to you. Other wise best of luck with Access security system.

Zero Anarchy :)

I've been following with great interest your threads on access security. I've tried all of your responses and the ones I've started also. I think we are trying to achieve the same results. Try this thread:(Sorry,it is the only way I know to direct you). It solved my problem. Lert me know.

danmci43@hotmail.com

Ok you can use the machine mdw file and change that to look at the DB. Or you can place a shortcut on the desk [/wrkgrp ....] to look at a mdw that sits on your network. If you have set up the security correctly then any one should be able to see your DB, but only people that have permissions AND connect through the network mdw will be able to add or edit data in your DB

Building on what YORKYUK stated. See the KB link below. Although this is biased towards sharing your mdw file on a network it will work just as well for a local db.

To remove the login for basic Access db's, follow the Access Help File, Unsecuring a secured db.

You can copy the mdw file to another location and then amend your shortcut command-line respectively.

Good luck! B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back