Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help - urgent issue - installing oracle on unix 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

orauxpro

MIS
Jun 21, 2001
SA
Hello everybody

I would like to install oracle 8.0.5 on hp-ux 11, can any body tell me the best way to do it step by step, i realy appriciate it.

thanks

Hi,
The best place for info on this is HP's IRTC forum, you have to register with them first though then ask your questions.
Go to hp.com do a search for IRTC and then for "installing Oracle on HPUX" as this is a common question in this forum.
Good luck :)
Babula

One thing to remember is that the install cd's are formated in "Rock Ridge". This simply means that when you mount the cd, you need to used PFS as follows:

RockRidge format

Add an entry to your /etc/pfs_tab file in this format
<device_file> <mount_point> <filesystem_type> <translation_method>

e.g.
/dev/dsk/c5t2d0 /SD_CDROM pfs-rrip xlat=unix 0
Next start the pfs daemons with the following commands (as root) -
nohup /usr/sbin/pfs_mountd &
nohup /usr/sbin/pfsd &
then insert the CD and run the following to mount the disk -
/usr/sbin/pfs_mount /SD_CDROM

This info is straight off the Oracle CD which always comes in this format.

Hope this helps

Hi
Don't forget you have to change some kernel parameter too. I don't know which one. But my oracle DBA asks us to change kernel parameter before they install oracle.

Sachin

thank you very much guys for the good help you offerd me, i realy appriciate it, and i hope that i can be further help to any of you, p.s i am expert in system analysis, programming, and ingress database, please dont hesitate to ask me for any quistions u have.

orauxpro

One other thing (besides changing the kernel parameters): make sure /tmp is big enough as Oracle uses that filesystem during the installation. Someone at Oracle told me it should 400 MB, but 200 MB worked.

My first attempt at installation failed because /tmp wasn't big enough to handle all the files Oracle was writing during the linking process.

And if the kernel isn't big enough, installation will go OK, but you won't be able to start the starter database.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back