Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help, This problem is driving me crazy... How they do it...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helixcoil

Programmer
Sep 8, 2004
CA
Ok, I've sorta have already asked this question before but I haven't gotten a real clear answer yet. I'm designing a networked TicTacToe game and was trying to get the applet to work on as many PC's as possible without the need to install anything by the user. Ideally I would like to do something like pokerroom.com (can't find another example)where their applet runs on almost anything. It runs perfectly on even an old Java VM, like 1.1.4 from Microsoft. You don't need any Java VM upgrade or Pluggin to play a game of poker. My question is, how do they do it??? are they running some new Java technology or did they just compile the game with the absolute lowest common Java VM denominator??? (somehow, I don't think that's what they have done... cause it's not that simple of an applet). I've tried compiling code with using the -target 1.1 switch but have come accross problems when I try to use certain networking methods.

Any help would be REALLY appreciated, thank you.

to get the applet to work on as many PC's as possible without the need to install anything by the user.
Kind of joke?
This game is currently
only available for Internet Explorer users.
I will not get an account to see, what and how they do it.
Especially not, when they discriminate my browser (amateurs!).
Since my browser is able to use java and javascript, I guess they are using something else...

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

They are using java but It's weird that only IE is able to be used. Maybe it's specific to the Microsoft's VM, or maybe they just don't want to test it on other browsers.

Anyway, Thanks...

More than likely, they targeted the oldest release of Java.

Chip H.

I bet for the MSJVM thingie. Anyway, MS is not releasing it anymore, so I think the best choice from now on will be use the Sun JVM, that should run on every browser.

Cheers.

Dian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back