Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help!!! System Bus Error & Illegal Instruction

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeLLiEWaBBiT

Technical User
Nov 20, 2002
US
I am running Mac OS 9.2.2. on a Powerbook G3. My system will not even start up and I 've lost my system restore cd.
Is there any possible way of salvaging my files?

A system CD is required. Norton Utilities includes a system CD with limited system functions.

It would be best to purchase/locate an Apple OS CD.

Could you be a little more specific with the "..system won't even start up" bit? No chime at all? No power? Freezes on boot. Flashing question mark?

Love to help but need more details.

MacGeneral

I have had the same problem with a G3 but running 8.6 (it works for my soundediting programmes... until now)

I was browsing a particularly memory intensive website with lots of flash animation and got the illegal instruction/bus error message. When I restart I get the flashing question mark. I do have the system restore CD, and can boot up from it but it doesn't recognise the existence of my hard drive or else wants to reinitialise it.

Very grateful for any tips. This machine has served me well in some very rugged conditions for 5 years. I've backed up most of the data but would obviously like to salvage what I can.

Thanks jimbo
Fortunately I do have a SCSI connector ... somewhere in one of those cupboards ...

I'll let you know how I go.

I also haven't tried zapping PRAM yet, which some have suggested may help - any opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back