Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help!!! strange XP start-up problem !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

deepblue61

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2002
CA
Hi, there:

I have very strange problem in my XP. First of all I'd say I don't have any Virus in my system, at least Norton never tells me.

After I start my XP box, I get desktop with only 16 colors display.
If I change it to 16 bits color, my taskbar will become black, the mouse movement become very slow, every action takes long time. So usually I restart XP again, second time, the desktop shows 16 bits color, but just as I mentioned above, taskbar shows black, every action is taken long time, I can hardly use the computer. Then I have to restart in another time, with this time restart, everything looks normal, and ok.
So to sum up, I have to start my XP for 3 times, until everything is ok.
I really don't know where to start to fix this problem, I did restore my system to a earlier good point, it works perfectly, then the second day when I power up my computer, I get the problem again!
Iy really annoys me!!! Please help!!!
Thanks a lot!

:) :)

had the same thing happen to me about 2 months ago it turn out that my Asylum 5200 Video card was the Culprid, I installed another card and the issue was resolved. I think you should try this before going crazy and dowloading drivers

Thanks rhino59!

So you think it's the Video card problem, do you think it is corrupted? need to replace it?

Thanks a lot!

Try updating the drivers for you video card. Unless you did just before this happend then you might want to try an older driver.

Replace the video card.
Anymore, treat them as long-life lightbulbs if using an add-in video board.

Thanks guys!
I'll do it, and let you know the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back