Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help....sound only out of one speaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

morgaabdemented

Technical User
Nov 5, 2005
US
I admit...I am not very computer savvy, so I really need help in this one. Please excuse me if I give too much information, or not enough.

I have a Gateway 98' Windows computer, and my speaker brand is Altec Lansing. My problem is that my speakers are not working properly. When I turn the speakers all the way up when no sound, both speakers issue a hissing sound, so SOME sound is coming out of both of them, but one speaker does not respond to regular sound. For instance, if I'm listening to music on my computer, the music only issues out of one speaker.

I've checked that the speaker cords are plugged in properly, and both the speakers are connected to eachother. And actually, the defective speaker is the one that turns both speakers on, and adjusts the volume.

I don't know what to do...I would really appreciate some help.

If you have a cd player on the computer plug the speakers into the jack on the front of the drive and see what happens. Let us know.

also check the software sound controls, maybe the balance has just been shifted to one of the speakers.

Also wiggle the cords and see if that does anything. Sometimes a bad jack or cord connection can cause that. Probally not your cause but still worth checking.

Good advice already
Firstly - I learned to ask this silly question a while back - DID IT EVER WORK set up as you have it now?

Assuming it did as Kevin ADC suggests :
Go to Control panel, open sounds and audio devices, click advanced and there are a lot of volume controls with BALANCE controls above them. The balance controls need to be centred.

While you are there put the volume control to max and click on the slider - wiondows should 'boing' at you through both speakers

If not and - if you Don't have a jack on the front of the CD/DVD you could also try

1) Unplug the speaker jack from the PC and Plug the speakers into a stereo walkman. Turn the volumes LOW!!!!Play and see what happens.

2) If that works OK in stereo now plug the walkman headphones into the sound card (It may be weak on a line out but in a quiet environment should hear something in Mono or stereo) Probably mono if you heard stereo above

3) tell us what happens please

B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back