Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help PIX 501 and Router 1710

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgcpu

Technical User
Jan 24, 2003
US
One quick question to all the experts at there, I have a Cisco PIX 501 and a Cisco 1710 router, do I need any other equipment besides those two in order to create VPN's. The reason that I ask is because I sow some schematics from Cisco and they are showing a 3600 router hook up to the 1710?

If you can ping from the inside network through the PIX to the outside (internet) world, you can set up your VPN. Let the PIX do the NAT'ing for you as opposed to the 1700 router. Make sure that you are not using the IOS Firewall feature-set enabled on the 1700. Chuck, MCSE

Hi yizhar

I have a pic 501 and also a 1710 router and I am debating if I should retun the pix 501 because as you already know the 1710 has firewal capabilities, VPn and IDS. I am going to keep both pieces of equipment how should I hook them up together to a Broadband cable modem? I know that I can hook up the ouside interface of the Pix to the modem but how about the router? should I hook as follows: from the Pix inside interface to the Ethernet port of the router? and from the router to a switch? I alos need to know the cable types on the hookup?

I know my question is very dumb but I am real new at this

thanks

jgcpu

HI.

If you can connect the pix to the cable modem internal interface, then I don't see any need for the router.
The pix will be a better choice then the router for doing the firewall job, because it is designed for that purpose.

It's a good idea to ask your ISP as well.

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Thanks for the info, I also wanted to see what you think abouth the Cisco 1710 Security Router, myself I am trying to study for my CCSP and I wanted to see if I could use the 1710 to practise my hardware vpn, QoS and IDS

HI.

Having both a full featured 1710 router and a pix to play with is a good head start for CCSP.
However CCSP is also about other products, like CSVPN 3000 and CSIDS , and software.

I have managed to pass the CCSP exams without having CSIDS nor CSPM to work with (only the books), but it is best to have a lab with all needed equipment for hands on.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Hi,

I have a problem with CISCO PIX 525. Whe I try to make a call trough the internet it gets disconected after 7 minutes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back