Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help : Netscape + frames

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeroenB

Programmer
Apr 8, 2001
BE
Hi, can someone help me out;

Every page of my site consist of multiple frames. The problem is now that within IE everythin seems to work ok. But in NS, the frames are allways 5px smaller than defined and furthermore the alignment between the frames has disappeared. I've heard this is a typical problem of Netscape. But is there really no script to solve this problem ?

Thanks
JeroenB

Frames are always problem, but you can get away with them only by trying different things or if you wanna do it the hard way write your javascript to detect the browser and loads different pages (not recommended.. takes too long)

Once I had frames in my website and had the same problem, but the only way I could fix that was to try different measurements but then I was too bored with frames and got rid of them all {~_*}

It is recommended to avoid using frames as much as you can.

Have a good one
The Learner

The browser sees every web page with has a top and a left border of between 8-12 pixels. Netscape has a different size border than IEX. To really see the border, create a simple set of frames that have a nav bar (frame) on the left, a banner (frame)on the top and a contents on the right and below the banner. Give each a distinctive and different background color. Ensure in your contruction you turn off all frame created borders. Look at the frameset in each browser. You will be amazed and dismayed. To reduce the border size to zero in each uses a different element. That is why your frames appear different in each, as you stated 5 pixels smaller.

Another problem is this: Assume you are busy building frames manually using notepad and Nescape Navigator. Every time you make a change and save it you must reopen the file containing the frameset (instead of refreshing it like you do in IEX) to see the changes you've made.
Netscape and IEX both went their own ways with Frames, and never the twain shall meet (our customer's needs). Like any web tool, they require a lot of tender loving care...

Rebuild your websites using some of the newer tools and get rid of frames for navigation. As long as Navigator and IEX continue to not support the standards we have to be resourceful and support our customers with what they use the most.

John U

Try using a percentage to define your frame sizes, eg.
<frame src=&quot;frame1&quot; width=&quot;10%&quot; height=&quot;90%&quot;>
although...I have to agree that frames are always a problem, i prefer tables, and layering...although that's a pain make compadible too.

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back