Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help, need Win95b fdisk.exe to convert to FAT32

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbrooks

Technical User
Jul 20, 2000
US
Hello,<br><br>I have some computers in our school lab that are running Windows 95C FAT16 and I'd like to reformat (erase) them and change to FAT32 (850 MB hard drives).&nbsp;&nbsp;I apparently don't have the right fdisk version that gives me the option for FAT32.&nbsp;&nbsp;Can anyone help me locate the utilities that will allow me to re-partition and format to FAT32?&nbsp;&nbsp;And also, can you please give me step by step instructions to do this correctly?<br><br>Thank you.

You might have a little trouble with reformating to FAT32 with the 850Mb harddrives. I tried with a 1.7Gb and it would not allow me to convert. That was with Win 98. I believe the same would apply to Win 95B and C.<br><br>I have been informed it is mainly for drives 2Gb and over. But if you would like to check in your help files of Win95 there is a section on FAT. If it says anything on FAT32 then the OP system will support it but the drives may not.<br><br>You could also check in System Tools to see if the Converter is present. You can find it off the Accessory Menu off the Start Menu.<br><br>By the way why do you want to erase them, it is possible you could convert them with out erasing if the OP will allow conversion.<br><br> <p>Steven Walker<br><a href=mailto:strider@paradise.net.nz>strider@paradise.net.nz</a><br><a href= > </a><br>Brainbench MVP Computer Technician

The way you can convert to fat32 WITHOUT reformatting your hard drive is to do the following:<br><br>Click on your start button, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Drive converter (fat32).<br><br>if your system will handle it, this is the way I would try it first, before doing a reformat.<br><br>Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back