Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help. My Direct3D says "Not available"

Status
Not open for further replies.

imhelpless

Technical User
Oct 20, 2002
US
I was trying to install a game that requires Direct X 8.1
I had it, but i remember that the game probably needs Direct3D. Sure enough I go into the game, and it says Direct3D needs to be enabled. So I go to dxdiag, and I can't enable it. It says:

DirectDraw: enabled
Direct3D: not available
AGP Texturing: not available

I put my graphics acceleration to the highest and it still wouldn't change from 'not available'. Please help it's a great game and I was anticipating playing it but now I'm devestated :( :( :*( Plz reply ASAP, thanks in advance.

plz plz plz help. :( :( Im so very devestated :( And no one will help b.c. they don't know how :(. For the while, sadness and deprivation invade my well-being while inexplicable error messages continue to agitate me to the point of utter exasperation.

In other words, before I explode, help! :) thanks in advance again.

Some general things to try after you have checked out those links.

As DirectX is part of XP and uninstallable these general fixes might help you repair DirectX.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

If they don't work you could try repairing windows itself by running it over itself. You will lose all your windows updates but your files will be untouched.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Don't know if it applies to your problem, but I had to run a motherboard specific AGP patch on my system before the AGP acceleration option was available.

I take it that you do have the latest drivers etc for your graphics card? (sorry if this is a little patronizing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back