Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLEASE HELP ME WITH SMTP ISSUE

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuterWiz

Technical User
Feb 18, 2002
US
Hi everyone. Excuse the ignorance as I'm new to Exchange 5.5 with this company but from what I see it's a mess. I need to rename or modify every single email account to show the default SMTP reply-to address to read firstname.lastname@domain.com instead of their darn NT user account ie. firstinitiallastname@domain.com. Is there an easy way to do this for someone who is pretty savy but not with Exchange without having to literally go in and modify each individual account?

Thanks
PuterWiz

I feel your pain. Marketing recently had us change our email domain.

Ok, you have to use the Import and Export utilities in the Exchange Admin tool. The key to this is setting up the headers for the export part. There's a tool called header.exe or something similar in the Back Office Resource Kit. If you don't do this, you'll only get the basic fields. Export the information store to a csv file and edit it, then import the file. I'd strongly suggest you have a full backup before doing any of this.

Hope this helps

--------Daemon ]BoÞ

Thank you drkangld. I'll give it a whirl.

Make sure you change the default settings for alias name generation on the Tools|Options setting page in every Exchange Admin setup.

Chris

Go to the Site Addressing within the Configuration on each Site and change the SMTP Address to
%g.%s@domain.com
OK it and when you accept the last OK it will ask you if you want to change all the existing addresses.

If you say yesit will automatically update all the addresses for you.

One catch though! You must have a First Name and a Second Name in for mailbox and any duplicates will get a "1" or "2" etc added to the address

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back