Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help me !!!!! Got Problems with a Rockwell HCF PCI Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenixTx40

Technical User
May 23, 2002
US
I have a problem with a Rockwell HCF PCI Modem (m1-5614pm3)
i can't make this thing to recognize it (BIOS won't recognize the "Simple Communication Device") i have tried in every PCI slot of my motherboard, and i can't make this thing work!.
I have a 586F63 motherboard got a AwardBios, OS W95B
got a P133Mhz(slow.. i know) , and 3 PCI slots on the motherboard......

please help me......
thanks...

m sure i just answered that problem in the other post. but
1. remove the modem....
2. make sure all other devices are working 100%.
2a. Sound mainly. since many HSP modems have sound also.
3. install the modem after all other devices are working 100%. and install as recommended by the manufacture.

Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
"SomeWhere in Kansas--"Near Dodge City"

HCF & HSP modems require their media control drivers to be loaded first before the OS recognises the modem and load it.
The only way to do it is to obtain and load the modem’s installation programme.
Try if you need the files.
Good luck

I have an old 586 AMD 133 that won't detect an internal ISA modem or an internal PCI modem. I don't think the old motherboard CAN detect a modern plug&play modem. I gave up. Your motherboard probably won't work with your internal modem either. I have done all the "tricks"--like disabling the onboard com ports, but nothing works. You may need to get an external modem to connect to the onboard com 2. Mine works with an external modem, but no way with an internal winmodem. "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [morning]

Sorry guys, but HCF<> HSP modems will work in very old junk computer i tested them in... even lower than 586's down to 386. also including the newest Super AMD mobo's also..listen plz.... with the modem removed (taken it out of the computer). make sure all items are working. all other devices... OK <b>NO </b> little yellow caution sticker in the system file...
then insert the modem into the mobo slot.
turn on the computer... i could care less if the OS finds the modem or not. makes no difference...
use the floppy or CD that came with the modem and install by following the instructions the manufacture gave you. Even the junk US Robertic (3com) win modem installs that way.. Frank Smith
s0121@starband.net
&quot;SomeWhere in Kansas--&quot;Near Dodge City&quot;

Dear s0121,
If the motherboard does not support plug&play no driver in the world will install a plug&play modem. It can't assign a virtual com port to it. There will be no resources tab for the modem properties and the port will not be opened because it doesn't exist. If you use the Add New Hardware
function it will reinstall the removed Communications Port 2, that is for external modems only, and not find the internal modem. Then if you try to manually add the modem it will ask for a port to assign it to (which on winmodems it is NOT supposed to do) and if you assign it to Communications Port 2 in the list you are assigning it to the external modem port which won't work. It usually will figure out that is the wrong port and assign it to virtual port 3 with NO IRQ or I/O address assiged and here we go again. I have fought this fight a hundred times. I know what I am talking about. If you had an internal modem with jumpers on it where you can jumper an IRQ and address it might force it to work, but without the jumpers how can you do it??? &quot;A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....&quot; [morning]

Well, i know my motherboard supports Plug & Play because i've installed a Motorola SM56 PCI Modem and it worked... but that modem needed a FAST processor, so i changed it for this modem, and now it doesn't works... i'm trying to download the drivers and see how's this going..

Sorry, FenixTx40, I got off on a tangent about Wnmodems and ancient computers. I'm not sure what your problem is ---since it worked with the other modem. &quot;A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....&quot; [morning]

so121,
I'm sorry, but I didn't know what I was talking about. My ISA Plug&Play bus was not installed in software. I added it with the Add New Hardware and the Win 98 CD. It now sees my internal winmodem and everything is cool. I was frustrated to no end over this. I apologize again!!!!!!! &quot;A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.....&quot; [morning]

s0121 is right, you can plug a modem in any piece of junk (talking with experience). But if a device is using any type of resource that the modem needs, it wont work no matter what. If you disable all your other hardware the modem will work (just like if you start from scratch). The only solution I can give you, is to get a software that can redirect your modem to com3 (make sure windows is not blocking or using com3 in any way) and it will work. I've done it many times.

Hope this helps Knowledge is the first step to Greatness!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back