Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLEASE HELP!!!!!!! LOSING MY MIND 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsz11

IS-IT--Management
Jun 20, 2001
US
I am having all kinds of problems with my backups ever since the first day I started with this. I have gotten at least 5 different errors, and I have yet to have a successful backup. Errors such as:

W6906 The operation has stopped because an error has occurred while reading or writing data which the drive cannot correct.

E6915 The tape is from a faulty batch or the tape drive is faulty:

E3855 Unable to position media. (EC=unrecoverable data Error)

W3828 Unable to find this media or a blank media

E8004 Media manually inserted in drive

E8015 Critical Error, no free slot available

E6500 Client connect to tape failed

C3703 Unable to open media(EC Error Tape not Found)

W6909 The operation has stopped because an error has occurred while reading or writing data which the drive cannot correct.

E6300 Windows NT ScSI PORT error[ABSL :1010 CMD :A5h]

W6942 There is a problem with the library mechanism

E8022 Failed to format media in slot:3

Failed to format media in slot:4

As you can see I have gotten just about every error possible and am getting very frustrated. I have a Dell 120t autoloader with 7 tapes. The autoloader is new. The Any help would be appreciated.

Some of our systems still use Arcserve 6.1 for netware. Every week my full backup reports that it is incomplete. This can be caused usually by one of two things. Files could not be backed up because they were open (no open file agent), or you have verification/compare on and this is not completing. In this case try taking verify options off. I got in touch with CA about this problem and they told me to try fresh media (who would have guessed). I still have the same problems but it does not effect the backups, they restore fine and thats all worried about.

Hi, I've been reading through these threads with great interest. Put me down on the E6300 bandwagon too!! I'm running Arcserve2000 AE on a WindowsNT4-sp6a box connected to an Overland Data mini-library-express which contains a Quantum DLT8000 tape drive. The SCSI card is an Adaptec AHA-2940U2W. From time-to-time I get the dreaded E6300. I've tried a new Overland Data tape library, new SCSI cable, new Adaptec card. What else is there to swap out??? The termination setting on the adaptec card is set to "automatic". Perhaps I should try changing this to "ON". There are no other devices connected to this controller. I'm loosing my mind too!

Just passing through the site and thought I'd share my experience. We have about 20 IBM 3447 each with 2 Quantum DLT7000. I experienced similar and intermittant errors described in this message string. Our resolution was to flip the tape drives assigned to the Changer using ARCserveIT 6.61 Device Configuration. If any of you are still experiencing problems this is definately worth a try. Stop the tape engine and go into the Device Config. Document the IRQ#s of the Drives as they appear under the Changer. Remove all drives. For the first drive added use the drive (IRQ#) that was not directly under the Changer in the origonal config. Add the other drive or 's. Complete the Device config and restart the engine. If you have more than two drives be sure to try all possible sequences. Hope this helps....

BA

Hi Sanity, thanks for your input - but - I only have a single DLT8000 drive in my changer - so I can't flip it with another one!
Regards, George

Hello their suffering comrade!

I have already almost the understanding lost, because of the eternal
E6300 error, we have everything tried out until Tandberg said us we
should instead of a LVD of terminator use a single ended terminator, and it works! :)

Thanks for that comrade!

I managed to get to the bottom of my E6300 problem!! I took our Overland tape library to the local Overland distributor here in Sydney and they ran it on diagnostics tests for 2 days. They came back to me saying that they had to replace the tape-drive due to too many unacceptable read/write errors. I brought the library back to our office last Wednesday and reconnected to our Arcserve server and it's been behaving ever since. Phew!

I´m glad some of you managed to find a solution - I still haven´t. I have 7 libraries, each with 3 Tape Drives and I´ve had so many broken Tape Drives in the past few months that my supplier and I are beginning to suspect there is something more than wrong - and not with the Tape drives.. (Quantum DLT 8000 in Qualstar 68120 Libararies).

I Changed all the hardware and reinstalled arcserve. So far no errors except now Everytime I run a job It says that the backup operation has failed even though it looks as if all is well. Any Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back