Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help LOCKUP PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBoy3d

Technical User
Sep 24, 2003
SI
Hi everyone! I know that alot of people have lockup problems but mine is a bit different.
I've been on alot of forums but noone seemed to know what the problem is.
When I watch divxes or play any kind of games the computer works without problems, but if I am doing anything else (downloading on kazaa, burning cds, listening to mp3z,...) my computer randomly locksup. Perhaps the problem is my psu cuz its only 220W but I have the same system for like a year now and the lockups started happening half a year ago out of a sudden. I also formatted my disk like 5 times and tried NTFS and FAT32 but no difference. The only environment that works is LINUX.
ive also tried my fathers graphics card - voodoo banshee but no difference
My system:
WinXp PRO
Duron 800
Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128MB
Sound Blaster !Live Value or integrated ac97 (no difference)
384 MB RAM
60 GB Maxtor Disk Drive
Ethernet 100/10
The motherboard is kinda noname sh*t but has AwardBios and I can also paste the chipset drivers if it would help

Please try to help me, I am desperate. Thanks in advance, BadBoy3d

Question - do you need the ethernet card? are you running two or more computers at a time in your house? if not take the damn thing out... that is what is most likely slowing things down a bit for you...

the things suggested sofar are sound and valid in my eyes...

I suggest turning off all onboard sounds (btw once drivers are installed for the devices they are enabled in windows, so deinstall those drivers)...

get yourself a 300w+ (the more the better) PSU, sounds almost like your running out of power...

check your TEMP settings in the BIOS setup and adjust as high as possible... could be also a slight thermal prob there (try running your system without the case cover and see what happens)...

Ben

ill try and i need the ethernet card cuz i have adsl :) temp settings in bios? i dont think i have them cuz my motherboard is like 4 years old

have you ever deleted the mbr when you reinstalled the o/s?
you could have a boot sector virus that will cause slow performance and crashes, if it is xp you are running than at the command prompt run fixmbr. a basic format and fdisk wont rewrite the mbr

also not all virus programs will pick up all boot sector viruses.

Hi Badboy,
Did these new crashes happen straight after disabling the non essential services? if so re-check dependencies and turn back on any suspect services.I say this because you reported some stability after dissing some of them, so try to rewind to that point, then dis services one at a time and retest for stability.. did you get the blackviper document?
...D

thank you all for helping me! the fixmbr helped and after a year i have a stable system. my master boot record was corrupt. thanks!

HI,

Check if you mainboard chipset is VIA.
if it is, get the relevant drivers from but be warned that the newest mainboard chipset drivers does not mean that it will suit your system. Find one that your system supports..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back