Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help LOCKUP PROBLEM

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadBoy3d

Technical User
Sep 24, 2003
SI
Hi everyone! I know that alot of people have lockup problems but mine is a bit different.
I've been on alot of forums but noone seemed to know what the problem is.
When I watch divxes or play any kind of games the computer works without problems, but if I am doing anything else (downloading on kazaa, burning cds, listening to mp3z,...) my computer randomly locksup. Perhaps the problem is my psu cuz its only 220W but I have the same system for like a year now and the lockups started happening half a year ago out of a sudden. I also formatted my disk like 5 times and tried NTFS and FAT32 but no difference. The only environment that works is LINUX.
ive also tried my fathers graphics card - voodoo banshee but no difference
My system:
WinXp PRO
Duron 800
Geforce 4 Ti 4200 128MB
Sound Blaster !Live Value or integrated ac97 (no difference)
384 MB RAM
60 GB Maxtor Disk Drive
Ethernet 100/10
The motherboard is kinda noname sh*t but has AwardBios and I can also paste the chipset drivers if it would help

Please try to help me, I am desperate. Thanks in advance, BadBoy3d

any other clues from half a year ago? (like hardware/software changes, crash, virus etc). I'd normally suspect a hardware issue - but wonder if its not a device driver issue. Any clues in the event viewer?

Its a bit late for system restore.

You could try a repair reinstall (keeps settings, data, apps intact, loses windows updates, cure all for many ills!) -

i installed no new hardware at all and i formatted my disk like 5 times so the reinstall of windows wont change anything cuz i did it 5 times already. maybe it is a disk problem. i have a 60gb disk and 2 partitions. 1st is the windows install partition (10gb) the 2nd is games and movies and stuff like that (50gb). i formatted only the 1st partiton but actually never formatted the 2nd cuz i didnt wanna loose everything i have (and burning 50 gigs isnt easy). i was also using partiton magic to create a new partiton from the empty disk space for a linux partition but then deleted linux and undo all changes. this is the only thing i did but as i recall this was after the my system started crashing (the partiton magic stuff that is). do you know of any good disk check programs that could help me tell if this is the issue but i dont think it is but its still worth trying.

Can you borrow a PSU ? 220W does seem kind of low for the gear you're running.Try running speedfan ( check your power rails and temps.You could also strip the rig down to minimum and reinstall your hardware with fresh drivers.This might show you the point of stress on your sys.

Hi Badboy,
Good advise from these guys. Also get a sisoft sandra prog and run its 'performance tune-up wizard' this may spot the prob for you very quickly!
Good luck D

ya i know the 220V is not enaugh for my system but the thing is that 220V seemed sufficient for half a year with this equipment and it wouldnt make sense that it wouldnt be enaugh after that cuz i changed no hardware at that time. maybe thats it but still it doesnt make sense to me. ill try the speedfan and sisoft sandra (which i already tried a month ago and it discovered multiple errors on my pc but i didnt know what all of them mean)

SiSoft Sandra reports:
***** Start of Report *****
<<< System Summary >>>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

<<< Mainboard Information >>>
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warning 2545: Large memory modules should be Registered/Buffered.
Warning 2528: System monitor device implementation is known to vary.

<<< CPU & BIOS Information >>>

Tip 201: System BIOS : System BIOS is old. Check for an update.
Tip 200: System BIOS : SMBIOS/DMI Interface not supported.
Check for a BIOS update.
Warning 2528: Processor 1 : System monitor device implementation is
known to vary.

<<< APM & ACPI Information >>>

Notice 224: SMBIOS/DMI information may be inaccurate.

<<< PCI, AGP, CardBus Bus(es) Information >>>

Tip 1202: VIA Technologies Inc Onboard AC'97 Audio Codec :
Device does not support bus mastering.
Tip 1202: Creative Labs CT4850 SBLive! Value : Device does not
support bus mastering.
Warning 1206: Realtek Semiconductor RT8139 (A/B/C/8130) Fast
Ethernet Adapter : PCI latency too high. Device could
hog the bus for too long.

<<< Video System Information >>>

Tip 319: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200 : A refresh rate of at least
75Hz is recommended. Increase it if possible.

<<< Windows Memory Information >>>

<<< Drives Information >>>

Warning: 1.44MB 3.5&quot; (A:) : Cannot obtain drive information;
check that a disk is in the drive and it is correctly
formatted.
Warning 1800: Burn (D:) : Increase free disk space. Some programs
may run out of disk space.
Warning 1825: Burn (D:) : Consider compressing the drive. Compress
or delete unneeded files to increase free space.
Warning: CD-ROM/DVD (F:) : Cannot obtain drive information;
check that a disk is in the drive and it is correctly
formatted.

<<< Ports Information >>>

<<< Keyboard Information >>>

<<< Mouse Information >>>

<<< Sound Card Information >>>

<<< Printer and Fax Information >>>

Tip 403: \\DARIO\EPSON Stylus C40 Series : Print to an EMF data
type to improve printing speed.

<<< MCI Devices Information >>>

<<< Windows Information >>>

<<< WinSock Information >>>

<<< Processes Information >>>

<<< Modules Information >>>

<<< OLE Information >>>

<<< DirectX Information >>>

<<< Network Information >>>

<<< SCSI Information >>>

Warning 2600: Maxtor 4 D060H3 : SCSI version does not
adhere to ANSI. Probably ATA/ATAPI device.
Warning 2600: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-116 : SCSI version does not
Warning 2600: LITE-ON LTR-32125W : SCSI version does not

<<< Font Information >>>

<<< Remote Access Service Connections >>>

Warning 2900: SiOL - ADSL : No phone number specified. Possibly
incorrect data.

<<< CMOS Information >>>

<<< OpenGL Video Information >>>

<<< Services Information >>>

Tip 2130: Alerter : Service may be disabled on Home/Professional
OS version.
Tip 2130: Messenger : Service may be disabled on Home/
Professional OS version.
Tip 2130: Remote Registry : Service may be disabled on Home/
Professional OS version.
Tip 2130: Task Scheduler : Service may be disabled on Home/
Professional OS version.
Tip 2130: Secondary Logon : Service may be disabled on Home/
Professional OS version.
Tip 2130: Distributed Link Tracking Client : Service may be
disabled on Home/Professional OS version.
Tip 2130: Windows Time : Service may be disabled on Home/
Professional OS version.
Tip 2130: Windows Management Instrumentation : Service may be
disabled on Home/Professional OS version.

<<< ATA/ATAPI Information >>>

Warning 3100: ATA device (fixed) : SMART not enabled; consider
enabling for safety.
Warning 3103: ATA device (fixed) : Acoustic Management enabled.
Peformance may be impaired.
Warning 3104: ATA device (fixed) : Current mode not optimal. Check
settings.

<<< Data Sources Information >>>

Error: Connect to DSN failed/inactive : Could not connect to
the database.

<<< Hardware IRQ Settings >>>

<<< DMA Settings >>>

<<< I/O Settings >>>

<<< Memory Resources >>>

<<< Plug & Play Enumerator >>>

***** End of Report *****

Do you have onboard sound & SBLive both enabled? Try disabling the onboard in the BIOS.

i just recently installed the sblive cuz it has better sound for movies and dvds but i never have both enabled at once. the onboard sound is enabled in bios but disabled in windows. this is not the issue.

Hmmm.Then how come Sandra detects both? Try the minimumalist approach. It's a good way to troubleshoot.

just a thought...

I just did battle with my pc locking up on me yesterday. ran fine in applications~ internet=lockup (system busy errors) I run firewall software that had a corrupt driver. reinstalled and all good.

good luck

Hi Bad boy,
Your sandra report is not too bad, you should as sdvised by xomcat disable one of the sound devices, you should attempt to activate s.m.a.r.t. in your bios if available, turn off the listed services except for DLTC and WMI, most of the other warnings are not crucial except one Warning 1206! you will need to adjust your latency settings, this can be done with a prog called powerstrip- when installed go to options / adapter info/ look through the list of devices by clicking top right arrows, you will see all their latency and IRQ values, changing them should be done very carefully- look for the device 'Realtek Semi..8139' on its screeen uncheck the 'read only' box and turn down the latency to around 72 or nearest value. now set the p'strip prog to reset on start-up. it will apply the new value at start up, one down side the prog runs tips at start up which cannot be deactiveted unless prog registered, if you do this it should cure all manner of instability, if you do this write here again and I will give you dfurther tips on tuning latency values.
Good luck.. D [dazed]or %-)

ok
i disabled the soundcard and adjusted the latency settings on the network card. i dont know where to turn off the listed services except for DLTC and WMI (i dont even know what DLTC and WMI stand for). I will report about my system stability. Thanks

i remembered i can disable services in administration tools. but to disable all of them except those 2? hm there are like 3 dozen of them running

ok i disabled the services that sandra told me to except WMI and DLTC

ok the system seems to be stable now but it works slower than before. any suggestions? thanks a lot

Check your start-up items (msconfig),clean up your temp files & temp internet files , and defrag. Other than a reinstall of windows and general tweaking ,thats about all you can do. At least you're stable now.

Hi Badboy,
xomcat is right about a good clean-up and defrag. Sorry to confuse you DLTC is distributed link tracking client and WMI is windows managemant instrumentation... I will stop there.. I think what you need to do after you have done a good clean up is visit download the adobe pdf for XP services, read and digest, look carefully at the dependencies and disable as many services as you possibly can, do make sure that you disable them and not leave them in 'manual' mode. THIS DOCUMENT IS VITAL FOR EVERY SERIOUS USER OF WINDOWS XP!!
Oh... another thuoght, do you have a good spy-ware prog such as AD-Aware run this if you do, as there could be all sorts of s**t going on in the background!
Good Luck..D [pipe]

i did all that but like 10 minutes ago the system crashed again (before i did what you guys just suggested). maybe because i disabled SMART cuz it was slowing down my pc. ill try enabling it again.

sh*t the system just crashed even after enabling smart. what to do now? darn it. what else could be the cause of this? is it maybe an irq problem cuz some devices are sharing irqs (like usb and ethernet) bu i tried moving the network card physically and it was always sharing an irq with some device.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back