Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help DNS issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

maikano

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2003
US
I'm having a problem with my laptop. I get "Cannot find server, page cannot be displayed" when ever i dail up to my ISP.
nslookup times out.
When i try to ping host names, ping request doesn't get completed.
I had the w32mydoom a virus. However, i cleaned it with stinger.
But when i get on my company VPN, then everything works fine. I also flushed and registred dns.
Any suggessions?

Have you checked with your ISP and see if they are having problems? (How do you connect to the company VPN, the same ISP?) Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

I tried three different ISP's via dialup. We have a secure tunnel. Everythink works fine when i'm on the LAN. But if i dial up, then i get the issue. Page cannot be displayed. I suspect the problem to be the DNS cache resolver on the laptop. It's messed up. But i don't know how to fix it.

Ipconfig /flushdns Have you tried this? Are you using the same nic? Maybe your modem is bad?

Glen A. Johnson
"Fall seven times, stand up eight."
Proverb

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

Glen.
I did flushed and registered dns a few times. I was thinking the modem was bad. But it dials out to the ISP. I can ping ip addresses but not qualified domain names. It led me to conclude that something is wrong with the DNS cache resolver info. But i did flush and register dns. I really donno what it is.

try using static dns ips for your dial up

some it like 217.159.0.17 or 158.43.240.4

I'd still like to know how you connect to the company VPN. If this works and the ISP doesn't, something is different. When you connect to the VPN, do a ipconfig /all, and when you try and connect using the ISP, do a ipconfig /all and compare the two. Good luck and let us know.

Glen A. Johnson
"Give the laziest man the hardest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it."

DG695

Thanks for the suggestions man. I did add static DNS but it didn't fix the problem.

Glen

You asked how i get connected to the company VPN? Well, i dial in to the server via the windows VPN client. The VPN appliance assigns a dhcp address to the client. It's because of the assignment that i'm capable of getting online using the dhcp assigned DNS.

For dial up users most ISP requires you to have a proxy settings on your browser and there's no workaround on this. Why don't you ask your ISP?

What does your ISP say? I'm guessing it's not your problem, but something caused by them. My ISP recently made some changes to there system, and I couldn't connect to the internet with my cable modem. I called them and told them that I couldn't connect. The HELP desk told me to re-boot my machine. I did, had the same problem. He told me to go to the Lan Settings and uncheck the proxy box. I asked him why, did they make a change, he said yes, they changed there server. Why he wanted me to reboot my machine when he knew they had made changes is beyond me. Contact your ISP and tell them you can dial into the server, but can't get on with there system. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
"Give the laziest man the hardest job and he'll find the easiest way to do it."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back