Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please help... Cannot receive e-mails from the outside world

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRChapman22

Technical User
Dec 28, 2000
US
Hello all...

I am using exchange 5.5 SP4 with Outlook 98 and Outlook express 5. I am able to send and receive e-mails internally as well as send to anyone outside the organization, but I cannot receive e-mails. When I try to send an e-mail from say my hotmail account, I receive an e-mail message from hotmail stating... "delivery to the following recipients has been delayed". Does anyone have an idea about what my problem is here? Any positive feedback would be greatly appreaciated.

Thank you in advance,

John Chapman

How do you have your SMTP set up. Do you have a MX record set up at your ISP? Are you using W2K server or NT 4.0?
Does SMTP logging show any errors/problems. I suspect your SMtp is not configured correctly. Either on your end or your ISP. Try the telnet to port 25 and see if it works. THis will tell if you are set up right.

Draq
comtutor@uswestmail.net
Good Luck with this information

"It's not what you know, or who you know, but who you know that knows what !" --- Me

"Visualize Whirled Peas" --- Kelly Bundy

How are you connecting to the outside world?
If you are using some sort of firewall protection you need to make sure that port 25 traffic can reach inside.

Al
atc-computing@home.com

Another place in yourexchange server you need to look at is:
Is your exchange server NIC using an IP that is part of the Internet?
Have you configured an Internet connector in your exchange server?
Is your exchage server part of your internal IP segment?

Hope this helps

as mentioned above,telnet to port 25 and send a mail. This will at least indicate whether the IMC is routing ok. check article : q153119

First, have you ever been able to receive messages from outside your organization on this server?

I am using Windows NT server 4.0 SP6a and Exchange 5.5 SP4. I am able to Telnet to Port 25. When I look in the IMS queues under outbound messages waiting delivery, I get an error message under receipent stating {network error during host resolution}. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back