Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please Help! Automatic Shutdown/Wakeup Windows XP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

noodle786

Technical User
Apr 7, 2003
US
Hello,

I need to setup my network pcs to automatically shutdown at a certain time and then automatically wakeup at a certain time in order to run a few group policies (most of the policies are for installing critical service packs, software, etc.)

All of the computers have Windows XP, most are dell (some old, some new), and I believe all of them have a 3com 3c905x network card.

I have no idea how to do this, if I can do it without buying software, etc.

Any and all help would be so appreciated!

I know of ways to shutdown a PC, but not one of how to restart it and log it in.
But, can't you just put in a scheduled task? Make a batch file and run it to do what you need?
Have you ever tried KIX? It is a nice batch runner, and FREE!!

Jon

There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge. (Bertrand Russell)

Someone has to turn on the power or press the button on the machine, perhaps you could look at "Hibernation" as an alternative.

Hi,
There are devices out there that can turn the power on at a specified time ( or when paged )..Try a google advanced search for the phrase 'unattended power up' ( without the quotes..

[profile]

Thanks for the info. I will look into these options, and let you know what happens. But in the mean time if anyone has more suggestions that would be cool.

Thanks,

The shutdown part is easy in XP.

Use the command: "shutdown -s" in a cmd file. There are other command line switches that might be added, as well as a comment that will appear on the display of the system to go down.

To see the options run "cmd", then type "shutdown /?" in the DOS window.

Dale

There's a wake-up feature in the BIOS of at least the new Dells - you can tell it a time and days of the week, and it will dutifully turn itself on. I don't remember which year Dell had the feature, but at least the last couple. There are several good suggestions for shutdown already posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back