Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please explain the difference between Coldfusion MX & Dreamweaver MX.

Status
Not open for further replies.

omesk

Technical User
May 9, 2002
US
If you use Dreamweaver MX to design a website using web applications and a database, is there any reason why you would have to use Coldfusion MX separately? Doesnt Dreamweaver MX write all the coldfusion code for you? It may be a dumb question but I'm still new to web apps. Thanks for any help.

Coldfusion MX is the application server, and like you say dreamweaver MX is used to design and code your site. Coldfusion MX is what turns your Coldfusion code into HTML that can be read by the browser software.

Coldfusion MX developer edition is freely available off the macromedia website if you actually want to test your site you will need this !

hope this helps !

Arperry, thanks for the reply.

Ok, well, I have Coldfusion 5 Professional Server installed right now that I was going to use for testing. Can I still use this version or am I going to have to upgrade to MX?

I'd like to say something here...

I just downloaded the MX Trial and sure it's awesome, but its not very backwards compatible... IE, if you bought a script a year ago and your using it on CF 5.. upgrade to MX and it will likely fail.. I don't know why Mac got so dumb about it.

For the first time Cold Fusion disappoints me.. I mean geez.. if I wanted a language I could expect to consistently disappoint me, I could have gone with ASP or PHP at least that's free.

Webmigit,

To be fair to macromedia/Allaire, they have been telling us for quite a while now that CFMX will be a significant change -- it is a total re-write in java that will enable some incredible new things. XML support itself is incredible. I'm currently writing some apps in ASP using xml and is a bear compared to what I can do with cfmx.

I've seen very little problems with people upgrading -- the problems that I have seen are along the lines of COM objects and dynamic datasources. Also, I have seen where if you use fusebox 3 as your coding methodology, there is an issue there. There is a migration wizard available that will check your code for deprecated code or incompatibilities.

All of the apps I wrote in CF 5 work great in CFMX, so I can't really complain. I'd be curious as to the script you mentioned that did not work. Is it possible to post the code?

Tim P.

Dynamic datasources is the key problem for me... There was no reason for them to take out the connection string ability.. But they did kill some attributes and tags, luckily for me, I didn't use most those tags but here's where it gets really bad...

CFABC sells a script... Its encrypted the TOS say buyer can't unencrypt...
Joe buys the script...
Script works great, Joe operates his whole site on one single script.
CFMX comes out and suddenly, without Joe's knowledge, his visitors are seeing script errors everywhere...

See the problem?

Tony

The reason the dynamic datasources was taken out is that CFMX uses JDBC now instead of ODBC and JDBC doesn't have that capability.

Here's my opinion on commercial tags - I've never had the need to purchase one, but if I did, I would make sure that either the source code was readily available or at least modifiable. I stay away from encrypted tags, since I have no idea where this vendor is coming from and where they will be in the next 6 months. I'd rather develop it myself or hire someone to develop it to ensure code stability. Chances are someone else will have to maintain the code in the future and not myself. I need to leave behind clean readable code. There are de-cryptors available if push comes to shove.

Before I would upgrade my server, anyway, I would have contacted the vendor of that script and made sure it worked on the new version of CF. I would have done this with any other program installed on the server and had a test server setup and QA'd the whole thing, especially if I relied on those tags.

Just a note, If a company is buying a bunch of encrypted scripts, why would the need to upgrade their server? might want to start another server for the new version, but there would be no reason to upgrade servers if the script is encrypted for a specific version. If you want to keep moving forward, you have to leave some stuff behind. I havent used it yet though. just something I thought of.

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back