Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please explain MDE to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyagergregory

Instructor
Aug 6, 2002
GB
Hi,
I'm a little confused by the who MDE thing.

I understand, taht you can't access form designs and stuff.

I am developing a database at the moment. It will need to be given to a client to use.
If I make it MDE it should make it faster, more secure etc.

I will only make it MDE when it is the final version, because I can't make changes to it.

However, can tney still fully use the databse and save records in tables.
This is probably a stupid thing-but I need to know.

What are the advantages and drawbacks.

Can I still use security with it. Do I have to set security AFTER I make it MDE?

Pleas help, im desparate,
Nathan

MDE files eliminate the possibility of your user having access to your code. Basically, they can't enter design view, and start naffing around in there. You can't either. Make your database as normal, then compile it to MDE.

When you create the file, Access will compile all the interface objects, remove the source code, and compact your file. This protects the interface...

The user will be able to use all of the objects, but won't be able to make modifications. The user will not be able to add, delete or modify the objects or references, rename objects import and export objects to another database, snitch your design...

You should still be able to set, remove etc passwords, just not change the design. Get the point?

Don't be desperate, you've got TONS of sources for information at your finger-tips. First off, I'd do an advanced search in this forum for your topic, see if your question has been answered before - chances are it has about 100+ times. Secondly, read the microsoft access help file, they hold a wealth of information on this topic. Just do an index search for mde.

If all of this fails, go to msdn.microsoft.com and do a search for your topic in Access. You'll get tons more info. And lastly, search the MSKB (microsoft knowledge base) from Microsoft.com and you'll probably find a few faq's (q articles) written by microsoft's team.

Being desperate is for wash-ups. You're doing fine!

-Josh ------------------
-JPeters
Got a helpful tip for Access Users? Check out and contribute to 'How to Keep Your Databases from becoming Overwhelming!'
thread181-293590
jpeters@guidemail.com
------------------

When you create the MDE version you will not lose your design version - you will have two copies - one that is an MDE (secured code) and one that is your original design with no changes. You can make changes to your original design and create as many MDE's as you want for testing. Just keep in mind that you don't want to write over any user tables if you redistribute the new MDE version. The security you have on the original design database will be carried over to the MDE version you create. I suggest you give the MDE a different name then the design copy. Make sure all modules compile with no errors(your MDE will not create if any errors) and give it a try. You are not doing anything to your ORIGNAL copy, so stop worrying. [Gorgeous]

Don't forget to Split your database into a Back and Front End if you do want to redistribute the forms as an MDE.
Before you create your database as an MDE file go to the Tools menu and either in Add Ins or Database utilities there will be a Database Splitter. The initial screen is quite informative but basically it removes your tables into a new database (Back End) and then links back to them (Front End). Then you can quite happily distribute new Front Ends for as long as you like with out ever over writing the all important data in the tables.
G :eek:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back