Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please comment on bootmanagers for Win XP and Win98 SE ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaidulon

Technical User
Jun 14, 2001
CA
I am planning to install both Windows XP and Windows 98 SE on my system ( Celeron 900 ) but wondering how to best implement this scheme. I have a choice to use : Boot Magic v7.0, System Commander v7.02 and Boot Manager v7.30 Bootstar. As I never used any of these programs before, please comment on the performance of these bootmanagers based on your personal experience with them .

Thank you.

You do not need any of them, Win XP provides its own boot manager. Install 98 first then run your XP installation. It will automatically detect the 98 installation and give you a choice of upgrade or clean install. Choose clean install, select the partition and file system you wish to use for XP (it supports FAT16, FAT32 & NTFS) and away you go. It will load the boot manager and when you finish and boot up the system you will be given the choice of OS with XP as the default. You can change the default, and the delay before it kicks in, by editing the boot.ini file.

Thanks, Mulga for this wonderful info ! It is great comfort to know that Win XP provides this dual Boot option.

If you install XP last, no matter what OS, it's picked up and added to the boot menu.
I quad boot, and the XP install found my Linux and BeOS as well as 98. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

It sounded great that you could really quatboot with Win XP ! Thanks for the infos ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back