Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Please advice for Alarm/SNMP possibilities

Status
Not open for further replies.

schim1

Technical User
Jan 21, 2003
NL
Hi,

Just bought us an MD110 BC11 .I also asked our supplier for the application Event Manager DNA 5.0
They tell me it is no longer sold.They only sell an SNMP AAUcard for sending traps to a management system.
For our data network we already use HPOpenview Network node Manager.
Does anybody have experience with setting up an SNMP manager for the MD110 and if you do is it a hassle?

bye!

The SNMP agent of the MD110 (AAUS card) is basically
an application downloaded to the AAU card (basesnmp.bin).
In addition you have to configure som .cnf files on the AAUS board like trapcomm.cnf etc.
It is all well described in the SNMP agent manual.
The files are downloaded via LAN but first you must access via a special V.24 cable to set IP address,MASK etc.

I think you should be doing fine.

Ok,

Thanx duvel,maybe you have an electronic copy of this document?

Schim

Hi Shim1

Your supplier is wrong. The EVM is still maintained and sold throughout the Ericsson channels. If you still require more input, please let me know.

Best regards,
Lars

We just set up the AAU card last week. It forwards the traps to HPOV. Setup only took an hour. There's a config change to be made to HPOV's 'trapd.conf' file. It does not matter if you use Win or Solaris version. Damovo supply details. I can send them on if you need them.
On HPOV you get full details of the alarms. With EVM you also get little icons, not worth the money..

Regards
Spamfree

hi spamfree
Interesting, I would appreciate if you could forward the mentioned details to lm@mitec.no.
Rgds
larshm

Hi Spamfree,

thanx for your answer.I would appreciate some information.Can you please send some to : r.schimmelpenningh@minjus.nl

Regards

We have EVM (5 nodes) and also we have notification by email and SMS. EVM is looking good, you have general picture of all nodes and in the node you have picture of LIMs, GS, etc.

Hi Spamfree,

Could you please send a copy of the info. to : tigerlow28@hotmail.com

Regards

Hi Schim1

The AAU-card is only half the story when it comes to management of the MD110. Albeit HP Openview has some support for IP and SNMP enabled devices, you need an appropriate manager to get adequate information out of the AAU card.

Without an approppriate SNMP manager the AAU card is only capable of sending SNMP TRAPS and standard MIB2 information as defined in RFC1213 to HP Openview. Be aware that this is of limited use on the MD110 because its original architecture was not based on IP.

The AAU card therefore in addition has its own Ericsson MIB that contains information on cards such as Trunks, Extensions, Switchboards, ISDN, ICU, CTI, VCU, H323, etc. As this information is not displayed in HP Openview by default, you need a special SNMP manager such as the EVM or MMS/E to achieve this.

Bottom line, HPOV gives you a little, but by far not enough information without the EVM or MMS/E.

Best regards
LHM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back