Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Playstation 2 network adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

randybreck

Technical User
Feb 21, 2003
US
Has anyone tried to connect the playstation2 with its network adapter to a Widows 2000 server? I installed Windows 2000 server in my home network so I could keep my 15 yr old off the internet at night. He recently purchased a network adapter for his playstation 2 and I would like to add it to the list of computers allowed to log into my server. Now I have the server set up for routing and it works fine, but I would like to have it log onto the network so I could control the time spent on it. The playstation does have the ability to supply the server with a logon ID and password, but I need to add it to the list of authorized computers. Any suggestions?

OK, this is pure guess work.

Do you know the IP of the Playstation 2? If so give it a FQDN name in DNS. Then add it into AD. I've got [bold]huge[/bold] doubts this will work, but its worth a try.

Also, I assume your server(s) is/are in mixed mode? There isn't a hope in hell of getting it to work otherwise.

Good Luck,

Steve Hewitt
MCP, MCSA, LEARNING! ;-)

I'm new at this so I am not sure what FQDN means, but I was able to give it's MAC address a permanent IP address through the DHCP server and name it PLAYSTATION. I then went to DNS and named that IP address the same. It now appears as a built in computer under server users and computers. It still, however, will not accept a valid username and password that works on the rest of the domain. I am willing to accept defeat here as I beleive that since it is not an actual win200 or XP machine running Kerboros (SP?) it may not work. I figure the Playstation's login and password function is for connecting directly to the ISP and I am not sure if the WIN200 server will accept that. Any other Ideas will be appreciated.

You could set time permissions under the user in Active Directory. This way he will not be able to log onto the network at a later time. I have not tried this out so by all means this is a long shot, but I believe that it should work.

The user already has an account that restricts usage from 7:00 AM to 10:00 PM. The problem I am having is getting the Playstation 2 with an internet adapter to log onto the server with my son's login and password instead of using the server as a router. The DHCP server assigns it an IP address and routes the traffic perfectly, however it does not actually log onto the server to get the time restrictions. Right now I am manually blocking the MAC at 10:00 PM and unblocking it in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back