Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Playing MPGs

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottyjohn

Technical User
Nov 5, 2001
GB
Hi all,
I am lookin at different ways to get a lot of video onto CDROM and I have looked at Flash and Director, but could this be done with Dreamweaver by somehow embedding the media player into an HTML page,
I am a basic user of D/Weaver so if anyone can help me out that would be great

Cheers Hope this helps
John

Hey,

I would say that Director is the best way of doing this. It looks alot more professional and there is alot more that can be done with it. Why does it have to be in mpeg format or will a standard application do? What exactly do you want to do with the movie?

Hi,
I am planning to distribute the CD so that it will autostart and play full screen.
I have approx 70 mins of footage in 10 sections so you can see that size is the main issue.
I looked at Director but to play mpegs you must have a plugin xtra which costs money and it looks really complex to do!
I have been teaching myself flash for the past 4 months and am only just gettin good at that but it doesnt handle video at all.
I checked some other options and I am looking at using windows media and embedding the player in the html page.
What do you think?

The only thing is, if I could do it in flash it could be cross platform and system independant by using a projector. Nothing is easy is it!

Cheers Hope this helps
John

I've not yet seen any information on how to do this. At the moment I am creating an intranet that allows a user to open a movie by linking it to the page. These videos are only seconds long so wouldn't be useful for your own application.

I don't really know of anything else really..sorry

Tim

Cheers Tim,
I think Ive solved the problem!
Im gonna go with the .wmv windows media files cos the size is good for the quality you get. The only barrier to it was that it seems that most PCs and I work in an environment where we have win95, 98, and 2000, seem to need the codec downloaded to allow them to play.
Ive found the application which installs the codecs onto the users machine and Im gonna put a button on an intro page which explains the to the users that they have to run this to allow the movies to play properly.

Ive really went round the houses to get this working but I now have an autorun.ini file which opens a self-closing flash executable which calls a blank javascript page which in turn opens a full screen HTML page which has the mediaplayer embedded!
Hope it all works OK!

Cheers anyway, If I can help at all with the video stuff give me a shout!
Hope this helps
John

That sounds great. How much video can it take in the HTML? Where did you get the codecs from...I have been looking everywhere as I have the same problem. The video runs on the machine that it is created on (as it uses that codec) but not on any other.

Tim

Hi Tim,
Ive got 450mb of video in ten files so that leaves me more than enough room to include the codec installer and all the interface and additional images I will need to make it look the business.
I got the codec installer at

Im putting a link on the interface welcome startup page asking the user to click a button which will run the codec installer and hopefully ensure that they can see the video.
Theres lots of info on the windows media homepage too about implementing the codecs across networks for administrators, might be helpful for your application?
Hope this helps
John

That info was much appreciated, cheers...will be trying that!

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back