Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Playing MP3 Audio Files Synchronously

Status
Not open for further replies.

thechriscurtis

Instructor
Nov 29, 2005
US
I have a program I wrote as part of a research project that I am trying to port from a regular PC or notebook to an ASUS NetBook (running Windows XP). I have already ported it to work on an HP NetBook (running WinXP) but the ASUS we are considering has a touch screen which could be useful for school kids from 3rd to 5th grade who will be the targets for this multimedia formatted survey.

Up until now I have used the MultiMedia Control in VB6 to play the audio files. I need to be able to play them synchronously. The scenario is this:
(1) Display an intro graphic and play an intro MP3
(2) Display from two to eight graphics each with its own accompanying MP3. (These need to be synchronized.)
(3) Play an audio prompt asking them to make their choice of the answer.
(4) Wait for input but prompt after each 30 seconds of no entry by playing an audio that says "I'm waiting".
(5) Accept the input and move to next question.

When I run the program and it plays the MP3s on the ASUS notebook, the very beginning of most but not all audio files is cut off - approximately 1/2 second I would guess.

This does not happen on the HP NetBooks - they play fine.

Can anyone else tell me another technique I might use to play MP3s SYNCHRONOUSLY? (End of audio event required!)

I purchased an OCX that purported to do it but after getting my $49 they don't seem to respond to my questions about their product's inability to trigger an end of audio event reliably. Too bad because their product had better sounding output when it played the MP3s.

I don't suppose the PlaySound API works with MP3s? I doubt it, but it would give you a good way of doing it and it does support the synchronous aspect you're looking for, you might have to convert your MP3s to WAVs though...

I'm using an Asus notebook with XP if you want me to test one of your MP3s with a bit of test code so you can decide whether in fact it's the PC that is cutting the playback short or the playback control.

- Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back