Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

playing dvd freezes my system. possibly DMA channel issue,etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatmeatof

Technical User
Jul 9, 2007
US
Hi. My system hangs up and freeze when playing dvd movie at the beginning.

I run diagnostic test on full hardware. The computer hardware has no problem. The only drawback is that the system is old. It is althon 1GH CPU and 256MB RAM and the motherboard is old.

i upgraded the firmware of the DVD rom drive and upgraded motherboard BIOS to latest version.
i runs turns up and do scanning virus and spyware. They are clean and has no problem.

i bring these 2 dvd rom drives to a decent working machines and test, and the outcome is that they can play DVD and no system hangup.
The dvd roms are able to read cd and dvd data.

Before i upgrade BIOS of the motherboard, the primary and secondary IDE channel using the same Ultra DMA Mode. i check other computers and the primary and secondary are set either Ultra DMA mode 5 and 2, some set s 3 or 4.

If both IDE channel share the same Ultra DMA mode, means 2 dvd rom and 1 hard drive gonna share the same Ultra DMA? ( there's no "number" behind the word "Ultra DMA mode". Usually there are a channel "number" follow the "mode")

Then i upgrade Motherboard BIOS. i double check the DMA channel for both IDE channel. Guess what.. the secondary IDE channel set DMA channel to "PIO" by itself automatically and Primary IDE use "Ultra DMA Mode".

i finalize a conclusion about this problem: the problem could be old motherboard and old controller.
what do you guys think? Do you know how to fix them?

If i change the primary IDE channel to "PIO" and secondary IDE channel to "Ultra DMA mode" for dvd rom. do you think it helps to play dvd movie?
If i change primiary IDE channel to PIO, it might slow the data transfer for hard drive. I duno what happen if i set it.
I can't take risk because the computer is not mine.

so i need some expert who tried these options and please tell me.

Hi. guys. After i installed GF 6200 256MB DDR2 and installed the latest WinDVD7, the PC can play DVD movies now. The problem is solved.

I think it's video card problem in which the original card is Nvidia Vanta 16MB only.

You guys are right. The problem is the old video card.

thank your helping.
thank you again.

Glad you finally got the problem...

and all is ok for now... ;)

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back