Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Playback PC Speaker Balance Mute - cannot "unmute" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

edteck

MIS
Feb 23, 2000
IE
I use Win98. The problem is I cannot hear sound from music cds. The sound card works -music on the net, "inbuilt" sounds, narrative from cd rom.

When I double click on the yellow icon on the right-hand side of the taskbar and playback opens, the speaker balance is ticked. It cannot be unticked. Any suggestions? Re-install Win98 or is there a less drastic remedy?
[sig][/sig]

Open your computer and make sure there is a wire connecting the CD-ROM drive and the sound card. Make sure it's connected securely. [sig][/sig]

I had done this. It is secure. Also replaced the wire just to be sure. Can't think of anything else

Is there a cdplayer shortcut in Start/Programs/Accessories/Entertainment?
If so, click on it, insert the CD, and click on the play button. The CD should play.
If it's not there, check your C:\Windows folder for a cdplayer.exe file. If it's there, right click on it, point to Send To, and click on Desktop to create a shortcut there. Then just use the shortcut to play CD's.
If you don't have a cdplayer.exe file in your Windows folder, you can install it from your Windows installation disk by going to Start/Run, type msconfig, click Tools/System File Checker, check Extract One File From Installation Disk, type the file name(cdplayer.exe) in the box, click Start, follow the instructions.
Note: When asked the source of the file, type Y:\WIN9X, where Y is your CD-ROM drive letter(D, E, etc.) and X is your Windows version.

Also, after double clicking on the volume icon on the taskbar, click Options/Properties, make sure Adjust Volume for Playback is checked, and CD Audio is checked in the Show The Following Volume Controls: section.
Then, in CD Audio of the main Volume Control window, make sure the Mute check box is clear and that you can adjust the volume slider.

Yes I have a cd player.exe This won't play my cds.
I am very confused. In the playback properties list whats ticked is as follows: playback, music, cd player, wave out. I unticked PC speaker and this permits me to untick it the pc speaker balance of the main volume control. No music. But nothing is "mute".

try putting a music cd in and pressing the play ( if you have one ) button on your cd drive, glug your speakers into the hole at the front of your drive, turn the knob to the right, do you get sound ? this confirms the drive is OK and that you have either a software issue of a duff cd audio cable ? is the cd audio cable plugged into the correct ppoint at the sound card end, some cards have 3 or 4 different ones

Rob

In Volume Control/Options/Properties/Playback, is there a line for Volume Control? If so, make sure it's checked and its volume slider is adjusted at least half way up.
Is the volume slider for CD Player adjusted up also?

Ski: what I have under volume control/options/ properties: Mixer Device Avance Sound Mixer [220]
Adjust volume for playback: recording, playback [playback ticked] Show volume controls for: music, cd player, wave out, pc speaker, microphone, external line. [External line and microphone not ticked]. If I tick pc speaker it will display in the volume control panel ticked as "mute". This tick cannot be removed. If I do not tick in the "Show volume controls for" it will appear as unticked in the volume control panel. Either way it will not play.

Rfeenie: I plugged the speakers into the earphones? in the front of the cd drive and started the cd from the cd panel. No sound. Yes the cd cable is plugged into the right point. I am going to open my pc again and replace the lead joining the sound card and the cd drive just to be sure to be sure.

Have noticed while wandering thru software that I have another media rack Willow Pond Audio. Could there possibly be a software conflict? I'm clueless on this one.

Thanks for help so far.

Something doesn't seem right here. When you uncheck PC Speaker in the Show Volume Controls For list, it should not show up at all in the Volume Control window.

First, go to the following site. It may have the answer to your problem since your last post refers to [220] for your sound card:

If that doesn't help, perhaps your volume control file is corrupt. You'll need your Windows installation CD to replace it.
Go to Control Panel/Add-Remove Programs/Windows Setup/Multimedia/Details, uncheck the box for Volume Control, click OK, click OK.
Go back to Add-Remove Programs/Windows Setup/Multimedia/Details, check the box for Volume Control, click OK, click OK, click OK on the warning window, insert the Windows installation CD, click OK.

You could check on your speakers for the right and left "AMP" settings. Both of my left & right speakers are set to "OFF". The"ON" setting turns the cd music off on my speakers. Just something I thought you might check.
Good luck.

When you checked the cable in the computer, was there two places to plugg it in on the sound card. Most SB cards have at leat two. Usually cd-in and line-in. Make sure to plug it in cd-in. You can also accidently reverse it. It won't blow it, but it won't work. Considering you're not getting sound out of the front, it might be shorting out. So try reversing it on one side. If it's on one of the others then it will be controlled by one of the other controls(like that external line or something). To troubleshoot I usually check them all and make sure they're all unmuted.....if possible.
Another thing to check, is under Control Panel, Multimedia, Advanced, Media Control Devices. There should be one called CD Audio Device. If so try removing it rebooting and reinstalling it. You install it through add new hardware, under sound/video/and game..... and Microsoft MCI.

Is the CD actually playing at all (spinning)? No sound from the headphone jack either implies duff drive or drive not actually playing. If the drive reads CD ROM, I'd be more inclined to go for a configuration problem.

Check in Explorer>Folder Options> File types that audio CD tracks have an association to an application. (.CDA extension) There could be various entries in there so have a snoop around.

To add to the saga: I had my pc taken to bits and sound card, cd rom, connexions, etc. tested. (Thats why I went quiet for the last week). Everything works. Everything works on another machine except that cds wouldn't play. The link lead between cd rom and sound card was changed twice. I took it home yesterday with the problem unresolved. To-night I decided to try a cd - it works. I don't know whats wrong, as soon as I do I will let everybody know as a matter of interest. Meanwhile, I thank you all for your help.

PS to rcrdps There is only one place to plug in

More soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back