Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Planning Schedule & Resource Needs

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEPM

Technical User
Jun 9, 2012
Hi Group,

I’m trying to plan a project that has the following known & prospective parameters:
We want a project start date to be 08/20/12 & the target date to be 12/21/12. We are hoping to complete the whole project by the end of the year.

There are approximately 225 – 500 deliverables, which are being reviewed so we can get a more exact number.

Each deliverable will take anywhere between 7 to 30 days to complete. If it makes it easier, let’s say it averages 20 days per deliverable

We will definitely have a PM, 1 Senior Resource & 1 Junior Resource

Given these parameters, I’m trying to develop a project plan to determine if this is realistic plan through MS Project &/or Excel & put the verifications or calculations behind it. I would also like to chart this out.

If needed, we could put more resources on, but most likely would be hiring junior resources. However, I need to determine how many are needed to justify hiring needs. Additionally, I need to determine out of this approximate 225 – 500 deliverables, how many could be realistically completed per week to meet our target date.

I have a feeling it’s highly unrealistic schedule at this time, but this is what I need your assistance for – to prove it. How would this be done through MS Project &/or Excel (& be able to chart it)?

I know MS Project is great for showing precedents & based on durations, will provide an estimated completion date. However, I find it restrictive when trying to plan a project with a hard completion or end date. Can MS Project forecast this type of project plan & determine resource needs too?

Thanks

Design Engineer Project Manager (DEPM)

Hi Design Engineer Project Manager,

I would do the following:

[ol 1]
[li]Set a project start date of 8/20/12.[/li]
[li]Create the tasks and enter the estimated durations.[/li]
[li]Create the links to schedule the tasks.[/li]
[li]Add a deadline of 12/21/2012 on the final milestone in the project. - see if based solely upon duration and links if you can make your deadine.[/li]
[li]Create the resources and enter a realistic max units -- for example -- is this the only project that your "senior resource" is assigned to? Are they "full time" to the project or is the expectation that they will work on this project in their 'spare' time in between other day-to-day activities?[/li]
[li]Assign the resources and input their work estimates -- this will recalculate the duration of the tasks based upon work/max units.[/li]
[li]Check to see how well you are doing against deadline now. (Panic as needed)[/li]
[li]Check your resources for overallocation. Resolve overallocations as needed.[/li]
[/ol]

So now you have a more realistic assessment about whether you can accomplish the required work in the time allotted with the resources allowed. It is up to you to determine what you need to change. If the deadline in missed - you can either add more people or drop scope. Adding more people, particularly those junior resources may not actually help with shortening durations - but it may help with resolving overallocations. You can show critical path and think about assigning your more senior or skilled resources to the critical path tasks.

All that being said, I would use project. However, Project does have a learning curve. it has built in calculations and the ability to modify the schedule dynamically -- much better than updating the data in Excel. As far as "charting" - yes, Gantt charts, resource graphs, critical path -- it's all built in.

I hope this helps.

Julie

Hi Julie,

Thanks for these tips. I'm trying to apply them. Right now I have this very hypothetical project plan without putting all 225 – 500 deliverable entries & its applicable WBS durations. Either through MS Project or Excel, I’m trying to demonstrate a high-level but realistic project plan.
Perhaps, I don’t see how MS Project works yet, but don’t think I’m getting a realistic project yet.

I attached a copy for reference. Perhaps, you can assist. Feel free to modify this document or make another version to meet the scenario I’m trying to obtain.

Hmm? How can a file be attached here?

Thanks

Design Engineer Project Manager (DEPM)

You can input the data at what ever level you have -- so instead of 500 tasks and deliverables - input the higher summary level tasks first. I don't see your attachment so I can't comment much further.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back