Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Planning Exchange 2000 upgrade from Exchange 5.5... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 2, 2002
US
Hello everyone,

In the next month or so my company is planning on migrating from exchange 5.5 to exchange 2000. Are there any major things I should know before we do this? Anyone have any helpful tips/hints?

Any help would be appreciated.

I did an upgrade and messed up badly. What you should do is make sure you have a good understanding of ADC, Exmerge.exe. I found that Exmerge save me from losing my job. Need to understand ForestPrep and DomainPrep. Installed Exchange 2000 and Exchange 2000 service pack 3. If the install fail the first time, and you want to restart from scratch, you need to go to Active Directory Sites to remove the first administrativ (the name you came up with).
One thing you should do is remove the IMS from Exchange 5.5. It will messed up you really badly if you don't. Do lots of testing.

Goodluck

Trimelater

quick - same box upgrade or migration?

Same box = take several backups!!! Diff box migration is easy - covered lots here.

Sequence = upgrade to w2ks then sp then dcpromo then ex2k then sp.

Our current mail server is running on a compaq DL380 with 2 1Ghz processors, etc. I plan on using a spare box (same model and specs) to rebuild win2k as well as exchange 2k. Now I don't know about having both boxes on the network at the sametime, because we want to use the name of the current exchange server, for our new exchange server with win2k and exchange 2k on it. I guess I could just rename the old exchange 5.5 server??

You could rename the old Exchange 5.5 and give a different IP address which will disable any mail service. After you get ADC and Exmerge(this is where you get the pst file instead of going to each computer), take the Exchange 5.5 offline.

As long as you get everyone pst file, you can do a straight clean install. With the spare box, have the same name and IP address so you don't have to deal with your ISP changing the MX record.

Trimelater

I have done this in the past when we had to rebuild the mail server. I used exmerge to export all the users mailbox.... worked great.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back