Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plain Blue Screen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 15, 2001
US
During Boot windows begins but suddenly stops at a plain blue screen (no writing) with only a stationary curser arrow. Cannot Ctrl-alt-del out of it. Just plain old freezes there and have to unplug to get out. Any thoughts?

Safe Mode available or not?
Some system info might HELP.. smitee

If you can get into setup I would turn-on the
boot nenu and boot diagnostic screen.
Then as smitee said see if you can start with safe mode.

I also have the same problem. I tried to start in the safe modeBut, failed. I got an error "MPREXE caused an invalid page fault in module ......" before happening this.

Vijaya

Thank you

Smitee,

I tried all those but still getting the same message. When I click OK it says "Please wait while windows prepares your computer for hibernation..." , and stays like that forever.

giovann,

No, I haven't added anything.

Vijaya

What module...? as in your message..

"MPREXE caused an invalid page fault in module ......"

and you click OK to what?

"Please wait while windows prepares your computer for hibernation..."

I am a little confused as to exactly what is happening? smitee

shuckthecorn.
Can you get into safemode?
Go into the bios and see if power management is enabled, if it is, try disabling it and see if you can get into windows then.
If you are able to get into safe mode, see if powermanagement is enable there, if it is, disable it and if there is a choice to enable the ability to go into hibernation, tick never. Then reboot and see if it will go into normal windows.

Did your system come with ME preloaded, or did you upgrade it or did you do a clean install?
We need more information in order to figure out what is going on. [hammer]

If you changed something quite drastic to your system, and you only did it within the last few days then try this:

start windows, push F8, and choose start in MS-DOS mode

when you're in the dos prompt type the following:

C:\SCANREG /RESTORE
(don't forget the space after the word scanreg)

then it will show you your last 5 system registry .cab files, select the furthest date away and then it will want to restart, and hopefully that will undo anything drastic you did to your computer.

Hope this helps!!! There is a solution to everything!
If something can't be done, then
it just means the solution has yet
to be discovered!

Sorry forgot to mention a few things about last post.

IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS QUICKLY, THEN WITH EVERY NEW DAY THAT ARRIVES YOUR FUREST .CAB FILE WILL BE DELETED UNTIL IT WILL BE TO LATE.

ALSO,

If that doesn't work, then your only option might be to re-install windows.

NOTE ON RE-INSTALLING:
----------------------

You can do what is called a "Dirty Re-Installation of windows" which just installs a new version of windows over your current one. (YOU WILL """NOT""" LOSE YOUR DATA ONLY SYSTEM FILES)

To re-install windows do the following:

when you start up press either F2 or the delete key to enter into setup.

Choose boot, then choose 1st device type to be cd-rom (might say ATAPI-CD-ROM)

then save changes and put in windows cd
then re-start
because you haven't formatted your drive it SHOULDN'T ASK YOU TO FORMAT (If it does, then say "NO") and resort to a differnt method.

If you do say no you have to change your boot sequence back to the original settings, there should be a dialog somewhere in setup that says "RESTORE DEFAULT" select that save changes then re-start.

If you do not have to format, then great, you should be up and running again in 1 hour.

CAUTION:
Windows has known to become very unstable when you do a dirty-re-installation of windows. The reason I have suggested this option for you is so that you can back up your data. ALSO, some programs might not work because you re-installed windows. Save and back-up anything you want on your HD then do full installation of windows.

TO DO FULL INSTALLATION OF WINDOWS:
-----------------------------------
re-start computer, press F8 go into MS-DOS mode then at the prompt type the following:

C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\FORMAT C:
then type "y"
it will do its thing then start up again pressing F2 or delete, change boot sequence to (CD-ROM) insert windows cd re-start, then windows will do the rest.

Make sure you have you Microsoft Windows product key handy, you will need it. As for installing your drivers you will be on your own. I don't know what type of computer you have or your hardware devices.

All of this info comes from Dell Canada Technical Support
It is precise and reliable.

(I have had to re-install windows 8 times now since I got my computer, so re-installing windows has become second nature to me)

Hope this is a big help to you, and hope that you will be able to do this on your own, without having to pay someone to fix your software needs.

Cheers,
Nate There is a solution to everything!
If something can't be done, then
it just means the solution has yet
to be discovered!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back