Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

placing graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdlane1

Technical User
Apr 5, 2002
US
I need to place a scanned graphic in a PM document. I have saved it as a tiff, giff and jpeg. It places it on my screen but when I print out the document it appeares as a empty frame. Also now I am trying to place the same graphic into a PDF document and the same thing happens.

What am I doing wrong?
Cdlane

First, always use TIFs with PM. JPGs are a lossy format and GIFs will print like crap.

Make sure you size the TIF in the editing program to the size that you want in PM. In PM use FILE>PLACE and choose link when the question comes up when placing the file. Do NOT copy/paste the image.

When printing, the file should print fine unless you have a printer driver problem which is possible. Let me know if you have problems after following the above steps. Also give some details such as vs. of PM, OS, type of printer, etc. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Placing graphics again. I tried your answer of placing tiffs in PM but it still prints as an empty frame on my printer and in my PDF file. Since I am placing the graphic correctly is there some other element I may be forgetting?

Also I would also like to get a really good quality scan of the B&W graphic. I tried your advice of making it into a bitmap to make the background transparent but the bitmap image looked very bad. Is there anything else I can try?

Placing graphics again. I tried your answer of placing tiffs in PM but it still prints as an empty frame on my printer and in my PDF file. Since I am placing the graphic correctly is there some other element I may be forgetting?

Also I would also like to get a really good quality scan of the B&W graphic. I tried your advice of making it into a bitmap to make the background transparent but the bitmap image looked very bad. Is there anything else I can try?

OS -Win 98 / Printer HP Laser jet IIP+ / PM 6.5 ? Acrobat 5

Have you been to HP and installed the latest printer driver for your printer?

Another option, go to pdf995.com, and d/l and install pdf995. It sets up like a printer, but will print the file to PDF. See if that corrects the problem. If so, then you have a PPD problem. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

I use 6.5 IBm compatable, and in the upper part of your screen in pagemaker you have a adobe photo sign (eye) when you click on that it brings up photo program. scan pic in there, clean it up,then name and save with tiff ext. go to the top in I think it is edit choose select all and then copy then minus the page and pagemaker will come up. you can place the pic by pasteing it. You can resize and place with the handles and by using the text and pointer . This will work as I do it. If a sign comes up telling you it is too big go back to photo and make it some smaller there.
good luck
Tiffie

>you can place the pic by pasteing it.

I said very clearly in my first post do NOT copy/paste the image. You need to scan the image in Photoshop. Save the image. Close Photoshop. Open Pagemaker. Use the File>Place command to place the image. When in doubt, deny all terms and defnitions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back