Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

placing 2nd ePO server in DMZ question

Status
Not open for further replies.

durda

Programmer
Jan 3, 2003
US
ePO 3.6.1

I want to test setting up an ePO server in the DMZ, we already have an ePO server in our domain (not in DMZ) and we are using SQL 2005 for the database, this is a seperate server.

Currently the ePO agents are configured to check the current ePO server, not in DMZ, then try the NAI site. But as you can guess since some users do not VPN in as often as I would like my reports show the laptops are not updating although they probably are considering the ePO agents are configured to hit the NAI site, they are just not telling my ePO server they are current.

My question is this. If I stand up a new ePO server in the DMZ and point it to the same SQL database that the current ePO server is using, would this be a bad idea?

Ideally what I would like to do is have both ePO servers on the same report the master generates and the only way I know how to accomplish this is to have them both writing to the same SQL database.

Thanks

On your ePO you could enable a fallback site for the workstations, then when they are unable to communicate with the ePO they will use the fallback site for a dat update.

It's in Software->Source Sites on ePO 4.0

When each workstation is actually connected to the ePO the current info will then be imported into the SQL database and then able to be used for reporting and such.

I don't know if two ePO servers can use the same SQL database.

Regards,
David.

I think the anwser you are looking dfor is using Epo 4.5 and placing an Agent Handler in the DMZ. The agents will communicate with this server and forward events to the epo behind firewall. You need to ensure firewall rule is in place 1433 to "trust", and the agents have MA 4.5.
I've not done this myself, but I am looking into it.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back