Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

place subreport summary in main report footer 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

voirin

Technical User
May 15, 2003
AU
Hi, I was wondering whether it was possible to place a subreport summary in the footer of the main report?

I cant quite see how to do it.

Thanks!

cheers, voirin

Subreports can go anywhere, including the page footer or report footer. You can move them as if they were simple fields.

If you want more than one version of a subreport, save the subreport within the subreport and then re-import it with some other name.

[yinyang] Madawc Williams (East Anglia, UK) [yinyang]

Where is your subreport located? Are you trying to summarize results that are coming from multiple executions of the subreport? If so, you would need to use shared variables in the subreport, and then use them in the main report where they are accumulated in a second variable.

-LB

That did it, thanks! I needed to share variables. Thanks lbass & Madawc!

cheers
voirin

I'm looking to do the same thing for a report of mine, and I am already using shared variables for a grand total at the end.

Trouble with mine, is that the details that need to be in my subreport come from information derived from subreports in group footers. I currently have one report for the detail, and the summary (which utilises subreports) is in a seperate report. I can't import the summary as a subreport without losing the subreports contained within it.

The only other option i can think of is to create some sort of shared array variable, but that method (if possible) would be messy, cumbersome, prone to error, put a limitation on the report, and it would be generally bad programming style.

Is there any nice way to join the two?

Cheers,

Victor.

Since you can't nest subreports, this calls for a report redesign. Since we have no details on what you are trying to do, it's hard to recommend specifics. Perhaps there is a way to eliminate the subreports in the summary report. Or, if there is a strong rationale for subreports, maybe you could save your current "main" report as a subreport and insert it in the summary report.

-LB

Thanks LB,

I tried to see if I could eliminate the need for subreports, but I couldn't. I like the idea of redesigning so that the main report becomes the subreport, but that would take too much time if it is indeed possible, and I think our client would rather just have two files to choose from rather than pay us lots of money to totally redesign the report.

Cheers

Victor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back