Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.pl & .php not working properly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 4, 2005
US
I know very little about what is necessary to run .php &.pl files but I know it was working until this last weekend when I installed a bunch of Microsoft security patches. After the patches were installation, none of the websites I host will send the mail from their web mail scripts. There are no errors and in fact, I get the thank you page that follows. The only thing is that I never receive the web form email. It seems as though it is never mailed.

I also found that a lot of permissions were suddenly missing on a number of servers that has patches applied so I am assuming this is a permissions issue.

There is nothing in the event viewer and in the IIS logs; the only thing is each line ends with a 200, 404 or 304 at the end of the line with the page request on it.

What kind of permissions do I need to have this function or what can be missing that would keep the scripts. Is there anything I can do to find out why it isn’t sending the form information?

Each site that needs to use this web mail function has a virtual directory of cgi-bin in their home directory and that points to the cgi-bin under
Any help would be greatly appreciated

probably better asked on a forum that deals with the server you are using.

------------------------------------------
- Kevin, perl coder unexceptional! [wiggle]

Thank you and I have posted this to the Windows 2003 forum as well but as I dig further, I am sure it is a problem with the cgi-bin directory as is just doesn't send the email from the formmail.pl which in in the cgi-bin.

Would I be in the correct forum to ask about that or is that something still for Windows 2003 forum?

the cgi-bin folder is the servers responsibility, has nothing to do with perl or any other cgi script. If your scrpt runs but does not send the email, the cgi-bin is working properly. If the cgi-bin folder was messed up then scripts would not work at all. Maybe someone else will have a suggestion or knows how to fix the problem, as many perl/cgi coders are familiar with server related stuff. I don't know squat about IIS so can't help.

------------------------------------------
- Kevin, perl coder unexceptional! [wiggle]

Any chance the cgi-bin lost write permissions for IIS?

Yes, that was one of the problems. Another problem was the permissions to the php.ini and formmail.pl.

I appreciate everyone's help. Not only did you all help with my issue, you have taught me a great deal about the workings of the cgi-bin and scripts.

Best to you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back