Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PKUNZIP in Command Window of XP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WBSimpson

Programmer
Oct 19, 2001
US
PKUNZIP 2.04G running in the command window of XP is beginning to show a new problem for us at the state of NC. I don't know if XP has anything to do with it, but Seat Management here keeps pushing software and updates on to our PC's, so can anyone guess why PKUNZIP suddenly became a problem? We have used PKUNZIP (and PKZIP) for years, but in the last month it began to show this new behavior.

In one example, PKUNZIP consistently reports CRC errors on 4 out of 49 files. FoxPro calls the PKUNZIP.EXE, but the same error occurs even if PKUNZIP is executed singularly in the XP command window.

Other clients are beginning to submit their ZIPPED files on diskette and some (not all) of these are unzipping with similar CRC errors.

It doesn't seem to be the PKZIPed files fault exactly. We can unzip and rezip the files using WinZip (a 32bit app) and the problem goes away, which tells me the complete data are in the original PKZIPed files!

I know, everyone has probably already moved all their apps from the DOS world, but please, has anyone had a similar problem? PKWARE and their tech support have moved on, and they are unable to help.

The last 16bit (2.50 ) version of PKUNZIP has the same CRC problem when extracting the test sample.

I tried pausing between files during extraction, but that makes no difference.

I've looked for a different DOS zip utility replacement, but PKWARE seems to make the only one capable archiving across multiple diskettes. The UNZIP utility created by InfoZIP doesn't produce the CRC error (on the sample file at least) but cannot create multiple diskette ZIP archives.

We distribute PKunzip as a component of an application written in FoxPro 2.5 for DOS, which will be very expensive to the state of NC to rewrite as a 32bit app. I hope someone knows what is going wrong or can suggest a solution or an automated workaround.

I could send the sample file if someone wants to take a look at the problem.

I wrote myself this note a couple years ago regarding the March 1999 DOS version 2.5 when I encountered problems on a Windows 2000 server. I do not know is it is a server issue, but I had not noticed any problems on a Novell server.

If using the 1999 DOS version of PkZip, do not trust zip files made on a local drive from a network, or vice versa. Zipping between the C: drive and network may fail to create a valid file yet give no errors. Sometimes the zip crashes, the file size is incorrect, or other times the contents will display properly, but when you unzip, there are bad CRC and other errors on the files. Test the new zip by unzipping to a temporary folder and verify all files unzipped correctly. Therefore, avoid the problem by either (1) moving the files to the C: drive and zipping locally, or (2) zipping exclusively on the network. Also, PkZip has other limitations, such as no support for long file names and cannot zip more than a few thousand files at a time.

I used to use ARJ to compress the Novell Telephone Directory. It compressed about 5mb to a floppy. They failed to see the humor in it, though. :)

-David
2006 Microsoft Most Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back