Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PKG-CONFIG

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImpetusEra

Technical User
Aug 8, 2003
US
So I'm new to Linux but using a fairly old version, Red Hat 5.2. Anyway, I'm trying to install some updates so I can use other software. One of things is pkgconfig-0.15.0. It appears to install fine but when I go to do the same with glib I get the error that pkgconfig can't be found. What's going wrong with this? I download the stuff to /root and run for example, tar xvfz pgkconfig-0.15.0.tar.gz, then ./configure, then make, then make install. Thanks.

isn't updating glibc a bit tricky?

easy breaking systems with updating the crusial part.

I ones tried but after reading some bad experiences I skipped it. Offcourse this means you can't install numerous new tools.

I am using a rh6.1 and can't upgrade my glibc without breaking to much.

You may want to try using the glibc*.rpm file and use the -U switch to upgrade the package. But the current version of RH is 9.0, and 5.2 is full of security holes, including BIND (unless you've upgraded that). The download is free, why not upgrade?

pansophic

glib != glibc.

The problem is most likely due to pkgconfig installing itself into some directory which isn't in your PATH.

I agree with pansophic though. Upgrading your whole system would be better when you have such an old version.

//Daniel

I'd download a newer distribution but on 56K connection it would take too long. Can someone give the location of the file that contains the PATH value? My intent is to use it as a Counter-Strike LAN server. I wish to use RealVNC though and it wants updates.

On the shell, just type
Code:
PATH=$PATH:/path/to/the/directory/that/pkgconfig/is/in; export PATH
if you use sh or bash.

//Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back