Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pixel fonts in Html 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebjo

Technical User
Jan 31, 2004
DE
I have used pixel fonts in flash and am wondering if there will be any issues when implementing them in HTML. Is there any possibility that the font will become distorted or blurred on some systems with html?

When you say pixel fonts... do you mean bitmap fonts (as opposed to TrueType or Postscript fonts)?

If so, remember that you can no(*) control over whether a font is (or is not) installed on a client's web browser/system.

If you set the font to be XYZfont and they don't have XYZfont installed, then they will not see XYZfont (at any size) - instead the font will be replaced (based on CSS settings) until finally a font is found that is installed.

(*) - with the exception of embedded fonts which is an IE (windows?) only technology where the font is converted into a proprietary format and made available to download (like a CSS is included).

Jeff

Thanks Jeff.

Would you know by any chance what the percentage of users is that are using ie explorer roughly?

I used TheCounter to provide these stats:

1. MSIE 6.x 197204402 (75%)
2. MSIE 5.x 52803367 (20%)
6. MSIE 1.x 1420962 (1%)

Total for known IE users throughout the month of March 2004 was 96%. Regarding the information I gave about embedding fonts, I know it'll work in IE6 and IE5... so 95% *grin*

Check then out yourself...

Note - These figures don't address the operating system. Since IE6 is only available on Windows, you can guarantee that 75% are using IE6 for Windows. I would guess that IE5.x for Windows would maybe sit at 17%... so we have a figure closer to 93% (than the intial 96%).

Either way you look at it... almost everyone uses IE5.x (or better) for Windows.

Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back