Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX501 Remote Access ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim2976

IS-IT--Management
Jan 27, 2003
GB
I recently obtained a PIX 501 Firewall which I would like to access remotely. I'm not able to utilise Telnet over the Internet from the outside just yet, which would be ideal. Is it possible to access the console port of the PIX via a dialin modem like on routers? I have a US Robotics 56K modem (model 5668), and would like to set it up for use with the PIX. Should the config of the PIX be altered, or is it the modem config that has to be changed? Would appreciate anybody that can point me in the right direction, or put me out of my misery. I've spent several days trying to make it work...
Thanks
Jim

It's possible to contact/communicate with your PIX via modem if you have your modem connected to a normal RAS service on your LAN.
Once connected, if you can ping other machines on your network, you should in theory be able to contact your PIX using Telnet also.
As long as the IP address you are given in RAS is the same subnet as your LAN then you shouldn't have a problem.
Any other subnet would mean you would have to tell your PIX where to go when replying to your requests, i.e;

(config)#route inside <your-Ras-subnet> <your ras submask> <your-RAS-server-ip> 1

See how you get on.

All the best

Thanks very much, I'll give it a go.

Jim

Ref SSH, it works fine. Thanks very much.
Regards
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back