Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX to PIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneciscokid

Technical User
Aug 18, 2006
CA
I have two 501 pixes that I'm using to learn. I'm trying to connect them back to back to setup a VPN and can't seem to get it to connect. I've tried using a cross-over cable, it lights up but I can't ping each other. I tried using a straight-through cable, though it doesn't light up. Next time I tried hooking a single PIX to a router using a straight cable and it doesn't light up, but when I try to connect with a cross-over, I get collisions, and next the router throws a BADCABLE error. I put in another crossover cable but I still got the same message. So I'm curious as to what exactly is happening?

Thanks

Pix to Pix - use a cross over and set the interface to 100 full duplex.

Brent
Systems Engineer / Consultant
CCNP, CCSP

As Brent says and check your interface status with
show interface.

Cross over port 0 to port 0

make sure you are using port 0!!

you can use the switch interface but you will be binding the VPN to the inside and not the outside

most documentation/realworld usage will be on the outside interface

if you want ICMP(ping) you also need to have an ACL for it like

access-list 100 permit icmp any any
access-group 100 in interface outside

this will allow eth0 to respond to icmp

Yes, I forgot about hardcoding the speed and duplex . Had to set it to 10/Full on both interfaces for it to connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back