Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pix or Sonicwall?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jd99

MIS
May 17, 2001
US
I would like to know everyone's opinions on firewall ratings. Sonicwall or Cisco Pix? Why? Also if anyone has a link to any article which rates them, that would be great.

I work with both of those on a daily basis and prefer the Pix. IMO, the sonicwall is easier to configure and set up initially, but I find myself having to reset the sonicwalls (tz170 and soho2) more often than I do the Pix (515).

Undoubtedly, the sonicwalls are cheaper, though, and many companies make their decisions based on that.

i would go with pix. based on what keain says, the sonicwall reminds me too much of our old firewall by watchguard where you had to reboot it to often because of lock ups (mostly caused by there software updates) where i don't have to do that with the pix.

I don’t know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve. ~ Baggins

I prefer the PIX over the SonicWall as well for the same reasons. But take a look at NetScreen. Nice unit. Reasonably price, easy to configure. More reliable than the Sonicwall.

R.Sobelman

I've used Pix', Sonicwalls, Checkpoint (also Nokia's), Netscreens, etc., I would go with Netscreen if it can be an option for you. Checkpoint tends to become a nightmare, Sonicwalls don't impress me, and Pix = bloatware.

I've used Checkpoint(Nokia, W2003 and Sun OS), Sonic Wall, VPNedge and Netscreens. I personally like Netscreens for the small office < 100 nodes and Checkpoint on Nokia IPSO for larger sites. I haven't used the larger Netscreens, so I have no opion on them.

I've only used the PIX firewall and I personally don't like it because of the programming side of it tends to be fairly tedious. I think a firewall should be gui based and simple to setup and define your access amongst users/vpn etc etc... To me it just doesn't do that for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back