Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX Licensing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sndkick

Programmer
Nov 1, 2000
US
Hi, we're about to purchase a PIX 510 for our office here and I've got a question about the licensing. We have about 12 users who we'll want setup using DHCP and that will need to be able to hit the outside web. We also have 2 servers using about 5 IP addresses combined.

My options are either a 10 user license, or a 50 user license. I am wondering if each internal IP requires one licence, or if all internal IPs count as just ONE user license since I'll have DHCP setup. How many licenses do I need?

Thanks for any help.

Licenses are by Active IP. 10 User license means there can be 10 users (diff IPS) going through the box at one time, but each user can have multiple connections.

If all 5 IPs are used for inbound traffic on the servs, then I'd say you need the 50 user license. Otherwise, you _might_ be able to sweak buy with 10 licenses, although it will be tough. There is no way to guarantee IPs have a 'license' so it's possible 10 of your users can surf the web and block out your servers.

Iota

The PIX 501 supports up to 10 active users on the inside network (an optional 50-user license is also available). A user is considered active when any one or more of the following is true:

The user has passed traffic through the PIX Firewall in the last 30 seconds.

The user has an established NAT or PAT translation through the PIX Firewall.

The user has an established TCP connection or UDP session through the PIX Firewall.

The user has an established user authentication through the PIX Firewall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back