Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX Firewall 5.3 access-list question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zahundas

IS-IT--Management
Sep 9, 2002
CA
I am trying to set up an access list with the purpose of blocking all the SMTP traffic going out from a host with the ip address 199.218.125.23 (class C network). I am mostly interested of blocking the SMTP traffic, but to be on the safe side I will like to block everything gouing out from that machine.
This has to have no interference with anything else on the network.
This is what I came up with (for the SMTP traffic):

access-list 130 deny smtp any host 199.218.125.23 eq smtp
access-list 130 permit ip any any
access-group 130 in interface inside

Is this correct?
Thanks in advance for your help.
Zahundas

"
access-list 130 deny smtp any host 199.218.125.23 eq smtp
"

In the first line, I don't think that the first "smtp" is legal. You need to specify tcp, udp, icmp, or ip there.

Your statement would read (assuming you fixed the first problem), in english, "block [tcp|udp|icmp|ip] traffic from anybody that is trying to access 199.218.125.23 on port 25 (smtp)." I don't think that's what you're trying to do.

From your message, it sounds like you want to simply deny internet access to that host. An appropriate access list statement for that would be:

access-list 130 deny ip host 199.218.125.23 any

Access lists, unlike conduits, read from - to. This statement, in english: "Deny all ip traffic from 199.218.125.23 to anywhere."

You could add:

eq smtp

to the end of the line to deny ONLY smtp traffic.

Keep the "permit" statement to allow all other hosts' full access.

-db

Hi,

What I am trying to accomplish is to block the outgoing traffic from 199.218.125.23. All the examples I have seen for access-lists are for the incoming traffic and I've found just vague references to the filtering of the outgoing traffic.

This host is running as an SMTP smart host for my Exchange 2000 server. I simply want deny the access to internet from that host.

Thanks,
Zahundas

This should do it:

access-list 130 deny ip host 199.218.125.23 any

199.218.125.23 will only be able to communicate with hosts on the inside interface's segment(s).

-db

Great, thanks a lot.
I really appreciate your help.

Zahundas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back