Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX debate? 506 v 515

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMASPE

IS-IT--Management
Sep 25, 2001
US
OK I have an issue here. I have posted before that I had some problems etc with a network. I took the PIX 506 out and everything worked. I contend that they need a PIX 515. They have around 40 or so users host their own Mail and several websites. Product support at Cisco says to buy a PIX 515. The website at cisco points to a 515. Here is where the issue comes in. The company decided to get their old consultnats who sold them this PIX and a cisco consultant(from Cisco) They all say the 515 is overkill and the PIX 506 is right. So what do you all think?? If you like my post let me know if I blow an answer...well it's probably late and I have had too many beers! Cheers!!

How heavily are those web sites being hit? What is the internet connection bandwidth? 40 users is not that high, unless they are active web surfers. The 515 would give added benefits, such as connectivity to vpn clients(the 506 will do a vpn, but not to concentrator software), and growth potential.

I currently have 600 users running on a 515 with a 1.5 meg pipe to the internet. Email server is internal, web site is external. It is not even touching the pix.

See I agree with you that touching the capabilities of the 515 is hard pressed. They are hosting around 6-7 websites and generate moderate traffic. They have a T-1 conenction to the internet. The problem came in when network bottle-necks etc were causing performance issues. I took the PIX off and the network has never run faster and no connectivity issues at all. Perhaps all the conduit commands that they originally configured on this 506 and the increased traffic of adding new sites was slowing the time down on the firewall. I am just really steamed that after speaking to Cisco's product support that we get a CISCO guy out and he refutes everything they said. I do think the 515 would be a little over the top for what they need but for the $$ diff of upgrading probably a better solution than paying for two different consultants to come in and analyze whether they should upgrade or not. If you like my post let me know if I blow an answer...well it's probably late and I have had too many beers! Cheers!!

I'd say go with 506, just upgrade to the current firmware. I got 50 users myself and a T1 out, it's fast. We don't get all that much traffic though...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back