Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX Classic password recovery - digging in the dustbin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 11, 2008
US
I dug one of my old PIX Classic out of storage for a side project (long story, don't ask) and consoled into it. It's one of the early early post-acquisition PIXes with the 512kB flash card running Finesse 2.7.8. Anyone out there recall how to perform a password recovery on something this old? I used to know, but it's slipped my mind somewhere along the way.

PIX password eraser 4.4 doesn't know what to make of it, and it's the earliest one I've got.

Regards
fortoreibas

Read on for a blast from the past:

PIX Bios V2.7
Booting Floppy
Loading from Flash
outside Ethernet=3c590 MAC=00:a0:24:73:11:1e ports=aui,bnc,rj
inside Ethernet=3c590 MAC=00:a0:24:73:11:bd ports=aui,bnc,rj

P r i v a t e I n t e r n e t e X c h a n g e
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
ppppppp iiiii xxx xxx
p p i x x
p p i x x
p p i x x
p p i xx
p p i xx
ppppppp i x x
p i x x
p i x x
p iiiii xxx xxx
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
(c) Network Translation, Inc
Version 2.7.8
Hit return to login

You need the floppy file for that IOS...like np27 or np278.bin, on Cisco's site. When prompted to login, just hit return (no password)---you only have 30 seconds to do it all, so if you get "unrecognized password" or whatever, then you took too long.

Burt

Yeah, that's the problem. As mentioned, the earliest I can get off their site is np44.bin.

Always do-able, but I don't know anywhere I can download Finesse 2.7.8, so I am reluctant to take that step. I could always take the two flash chips out and read them in my chip reader to store their present contents or replace them with some other blanked i28f020 chips. Those are my last-ditch efforts.

A kind person on another forum pointed out that nppix.bin is for version 4.3 and earlier. I had it the whole time, it turns out. Used it and got in. Thanks for your suggestions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back