Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pix as a Primeter router

Status
Not open for further replies.

olana

Technical User
Sep 2, 2002
DE
Is it possible to use a PIX as a perimeter router. We had a cisco router which had functioned as a perimeter router. Our new chief has insisted that we MUSt use PIX instead of a router. From design point of view is that logical and possible? Can anyone explain to me the pros and cons of such a planning. Any info would be appreciated.

By "perimeter router", I assume you mean your connection to the Internet. Every one of these that I have set up required some sort of serial interface. Guess what? PIX doesn't support serial interfaces, just Ethernet.

Therefore, if this is the case, it means you MUST have a router at the perimeter.

-gbiello CCNA, PIX Advanced

Thank you for your response. Internet connection is provided by the router of the ISP that is installed at our site. The problem is it does not do any filtering. We do not have control over it. According to the current plan the PIX would be connected to the ISP on one side and the firewall on our LAN side.

As long as the internal interface on the ISP-provided router is ethernet, it can be hooked to the PIX with a crossover cable, and I would highly recommend you do this. The PIX would then be set up as the private/public boundary. You would have to work with the ISP when you did this, as they would have to configure the router to accomodate the change.

If the ISP provided router is DSL, this is a bit of a bit of a different story. You'd have to set the PIX to do PPPoE, which can be done on the later versions.

-gbiello

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back