Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX and NATs Im guessing 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

OHSR

MIS
May 5, 2004
US
Hey all,
This is my first post on this forum, so please go easy. My questions is im guessing related to the NATs setup on the PIX (PIX515). I'm sure this is simple, but I cannot ping they other outside (internet) IPs of other servers in our organization. They all have static setups with their own IPs. I'll try and diagram below:

Server1 internal: 192.168.0.2 Internet IP: 63.63.63.182
Server2 internal: 192.168.0.3 Internet IP: 63.63.63.183

Server1 cannot ping Server2 with "ping 63.63.63.183"

Both are setup as:

static (inside,outside) 63.63.63.182 192.0.0.2 netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0

static (inside,outside) 63.63.63.183 192.0.0.3 netmask 255.255.255.255 0 0

Netiher have any other erros. I am not good at all with understanding static NAT. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

it is possible to do what you want but you need to send traffic out to a router first then back in, this way the int is not doing redirects, and your email servers can communicate

thanks for the help anyways!

Smikes (or anyone else for that matter)... if you see this, do you have any thoughts on how to get this to work out?

Antotech:

Sorry we must have posted at the same time, and i missed your last post.

You are say setup a physical DMZ. There is a perimeter router in place, but it is only sending traffic to the PIX, doing nothing more. I'll look into it. its in the coperate office and i work remotely. so ill check it sometime.

Thanks.

ok,

Another solution is to dual home the Servers and assign the NATes public IP's to the second NIC I think that would work also

I'm not exactly clear what the problem is here... If you want a host on the inside to access another host on the inside, always refer to it by its real ip address. Not its internet (global outside) address. You should have a split horizon DNS to compliment this.

smikes, its not a problem until DNS resolves the name for email, everything else i can use the real ip.

The new email sever is sending to mydomain.com (existing old email server), DNS points to the old mail server's public IP and sending the message to the address times out.

Ah, so it is in fact a DNS issue then. You should always have two separate DNS servers. One that resolves requests for your domain from the outside, and another server that resolves requests for inside hosts. The external DNS server will have a minimal amount of info-- at least mx entries to your mail server. In addition, its not good practice to have just one DNS server with every single host listed in there for security reasons i'm sure you can see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back