Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX & PCI network cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilHunt

ISP
Mar 28, 2001
AU
G'day folks,
I finally received my PIX 515 that I've been waiting around 2 months for, and a suspician I had is confirmed. I received a PIX-1FE network card some time back, and it looked suspiciously like an Intel PIX network card, and sure ebnough the 515 has a striahgt PCI bus. My question is thus, can I use any PCI network card in this beastie?

Pix 515 or higher have Intel card. If look closer you'll see an Pentium 200 processor. In Pix 535 they put a PII/500.
RAM memory it's from PC world too. It will be more then possible to work another net adapter. But, you know, if you'll have any problem they will through you away. And you'll need support from Cisco. They do a great job but when they make a mistake in software it's always a big one.

I don't recommend that. They write the drivers for the NICs into the PIX Finesse OS. The hardware, although very similar to PC world, does have differences, and unless the PIX you have is your toy, I wouldn't play with a production PIX.

Be careful. The drivers are written into the PIX OS. Device drivers sometimes vary by model and serial number. You may think you can drop any other PCI card in there but it probably would not work. Dropping another Intel NIC may not work either if changes were amde at the NIC firmware level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back