Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PIX 520 Hardware Surprisingly Generic 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danyk9

IS-IT--Management
Mar 8, 2004
AU
PIX 520 Hardware Surprisingly Generic

I Just pulled apart my PIX 520 to determine how much room there is for an upgrade.

What I found was a completely standard Motherboard.

The mother board has an LX440 chipset, an AGP port, USB ports, mouse ports etc.
All these ports are simply hidden behind the case.

The system also has:
A standard Pentium 2 266MHz processor.
2 Intel network cards

Finally, there is only one non standard part, a strange card with CONSOL and FAILOVER ports which connects up using an old ISA legacy port.
The card is labeled AM28F256 – 150 PC 9823MBM A
(that seems to be where the FLASH memory is stored with the OS).

I wonder if you could build a PIX out of a P2 BX chipset motherboard with an spare ISA slot simply by adding this card

My pix has really low specs, (2x16MB ram for a total of 32MB), 2MB of Flash, and a P2 266, I’m planning on swap the memory for a stick of old 66MHz 128MB SDRAM.
Then ill consider sticking in my old P2 333 (just for the hell of it). I’m also planning on removing the painfully loud case fan, the screaming noise is fine for a Server room, but its far too much for a firewall used for nothing but study and practice in my computer room.

I’m thinking of taking out the NIC cards, and sticking them in my PC to work out how standard they are. I’m also tempted to add in one of my spare Intel network cards, I wonder with the CISCO ISO will be capable of dealing with the drivers of another Intel card.

If any one has any comments, please feel free. I bought this router pretty cheep, so I’m not too worried, and I realize that most old CISCO techs will know most of what I have just discovered, so any tips will be appreciated.

(finally, I can see why they changed the nature of this model, if you stick to proprietary parts, you can be sure that all upgrades must go through you).

HI.

Read this:

Some notes:

The FLASH card is probably the main issue here.
It will also prevent you from upgrading to latest pix IOS.

The pix does not support the newer Intel NICs.
The NIC chipset must be: 82557/8/9
but should *NOT* be: 82550
(As far as I remember. But you should try and see if the pix recognizes the NIC using the command "show version").

You will probably not gain any performance benefits on your small lab network even if you upgrade the hardware, but replacing the fan is a good idea.

Bye

Yizhar Hurwitz

Groovy, it did work, I tried it directly after starting this thread.

Thanks for the link, its good to see conformation of what I’m doing.

I have 1 Intel card, and it just happens to be the correct kind (S82557), picked it up for $5 late last year :)

Also tried a variety of different memory types, the PC133 worked, but it caused a fault. At the very least, it proved the system could recognize 128MB RAM.

The network card seems to be working, only problem seems to be the settings
It pings perfectly, and I renamed it to DMZ etc.
Unfortunately, I could not telnet from it.

I set the security for the port to 100, not realizing if that’s high security or low. I’m wondering if there are further settings involved in adding the net port.

This is really quite interesting. If it goes well enough, I might have to think about using it at work. Its an upgrade of an existing PIX so it seems legit enough, ill just need to be sure its stable, secure and fast enough to work on out network…

Hi Danyk9,

I have a couple of franken pixes that I'm using in my security lab. I'm wondering if you can help me by telling me how the failover cable is attached to the motherboard? I'm assuming it is connected to one of the com ports (com2)? If you could take a look and let me know, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Jeff

Hi, i dont have a clue how fail over works, but i can tell you that its on the flash card.

I expect you have an ISA CISCO flash card. Their are two Serial ports, one is the failover the other is the consol, so it sounds like your refering to the correct one.

Have you consoled into your pix successfully?.

Hi there.

In my PIX-520, the Console and Failover ports connect to the COM ports on the system board directly. (Danyk, look closely at yours...though the ports are practically on top of the flash card, you'll see two long ribbon cables running from them to the COM ports on the system board.)

The Failover port is a DB-15 port with funky wiring...search for "Failover cable pinouts" for a clue.

Now, using the info in Cisco's failover cable doc, I built a cable as specified but my PIXes don't see it connected, which makes me think there's some circuitry within the Cisco cable. Has anyone checked this out? Spending $155 for a funky serial cable seems like robbery. (Course there's now LAN failover in v6.2 and up...)

Sincerely,
Sean M. Pappalardo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back